Another Mac Pro or iMac question - pls help

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I seem to have a conumdrum that pops up on a frequent basis, I even went to an Apple Store today to seek some advice but came away a little dazed...

After years of Pc's, fixing them building them, throwing them away I finally saw the light and bought a MacBook Pro which is the dogs whatsits for my business use..

After sitting back and looking at what I do on a daily basis on my home machine (high spec PC) I raealised that I no longer game, but rather spend ages encoding HD video from of my family.

The question I have (after all this rambling) is ... do I go the Mac Pro route for HD video, or would a specc'ed up 24" iMAc suite my needs. I am tempted with the anto clutter look of a closed iMac (and I will get one fo the wife) however, I am troubled by the fact that I will still spend ages trying to encode/render home movies.

Any advice on the grunt behind the latest iMac is appreciated.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Could you bring a video file to the Apple store and try using FCP on both machines?

The Mac Pro is designed for video work. The extra 2-6 cores should be put to use to decrease encoding times.

In the end, they're both great machines. It wouldn't be a bad thing to go with either or both if you have to buy one for your wife too.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks for the reply.. I suppose i culd take a 15 gb file into a store and have a play with one.

the imac i get for the wife won't be specced out - just for basic web surfing and stuff so I need my machine to be able to cut it.... i was hoping that the imacs would be sufficiently powerful thesedays

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The newest iMacs are beefy machines (3.06 GHz and up to 4 GB of RAM), but they are only dual core, and 4 GB is the max RAM they will take. They are excellent consumer machines, but I suspect that you need more. I would recommend the Mac Pro for what you are trying to accomplish.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.