Macbook Questions

Reaction score
1) My brother has a media center 17" HP laptop with glossy screen... The gloss is pretty bad. Do the macbook screens reflect less?

2) Can the macbook be used as desktop replacement in college?

3) Will the macbook (base) be a lot faster than my 7 year old HP desktop (1.6 gHz and 512 MB Ram)... Is the Macbook "fast" for a notebook? The reason I'm asking is because my HP is slow as crap and will always freeze if I have more than one application on...

Reaction score
Glossy screens are the craze right now, but in actuality they're just freaking annoying. My last HP had gloss and it drove me crazy sometimes....

I don't see why the MB wouldn't pull it's weight as a DTR as long as you're not looking for gaming.

The answer to your final question.. YES

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
the glossy screen is fine for me. It is only a little rough if you are using it in direct sun light

my mb is the only computer i use. it works fine unless you are going to be very graphic demanding things (gaming 3d video rendering)

the mb should be a lot faster than your current hp. i would recommend getting a mb with the base amount of ram and upgrading the ram yourself to save money

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2GHz 2GB RAM 80GB HDD
I used my MB as my primary computer during College. It worked fine. My PC spent the semester locked in the closet so I wasn't tempted to play games. I never had much issue with the glossy screen, but it is just a personal preference I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
since you bumped your thread are you looking for more replies or more information?

do you have more questions that have not been answered yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I agree my Blackbook is my only computer I use it's very fast.Right now I'm listening to Howard Stern,downloading 2 movies, and have 6 tabs on Firefox open and I have not even used all of my RAM.

OP
O
Reaction score
I just wanted to see what more members thought...

oh, and is the macbook considered a slow notebook? The emac I use at my internship is kinda slow and its like OS X...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Glossy screens are all pretty similar. I like the Glossy on my HP/Compaq 14" WS that I take with me on Windows network calls. It seems to be a personal preference though.

The Macbook will perform as well as any other computer with the same CPU and Specs. If you installed XP say it would be just as fast as any other PC Laptop with the same basic specs. The big difference to me though is OSX over a normal PC Notebook. Like others have said it will do everything you need unless you expect it to play Demanding 3D Games at high settings. That no Integrated Graphics will do. Otherwise it's a very capable machine.

Yes, it will be a faster machine than your 7 year old Notebook. Part of the issues with that system is it's probably full of Spyware and needs a good cleaning or Reinstall. But yes, the new Macbook will be faster.

OP
O
Reaction score
Glossy screens are all pretty similar. I like the Glossy on my HP/Compaq 14" WS that I take with me on Windows network calls. It seems to be a personal preference though.
then that sucks... The glossy on my HP is like a ****ing mirror... Most of the time I can't even see whats on the screen because the glare is soo bad... (or I just have to squint)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.