Disable seamless mouse in VMWare running Win98 guest

Reaction score
I installed an old copy of Windows 98 SE to play some old DOS games. It works great, except that the whole seamless mouse thing where it automatically grabs and then releases the mouse when you point at the vm is completely unacceptable for games like Daggerfall where you use the mouse to control the direction you're facing. I'm constantly moving my mouse to try to spin around and face the other way, only to turn a little bit, and then see my mouse pointer fly off of the guest into the host. Is there some way I can disable that? I've tried removing the "VMWare pointing device" but it's just reinstalled on the reboot, and I've tried removing VMWare tools altogether, but the mouse driver stays, and I've tried booting into DOS mode, but for some reason it freezes after boot.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I installed an old copy of Windows 98 SE to play some old DOS games. It works great, except that the whole seamless mouse thing where it automatically grabs and then releases the mouse when you point at the vm is completely unacceptable for games like Daggerfall where you use the mouse to control the direction you're facing. I'm constantly moving my mouse to try to spin around and face the other way, only to turn a little bit, and then see my mouse pointer fly off of the guest into the host. Is there some way I can disable that? I've tried removing the "VMWare pointing device" but it's just reinstalled on the reboot, and I've tried removing VMWare tools altogether, but the mouse driver stays, and I've tried booting into DOS mode, but for some reason it freezes after boot.

You're not going to be able to remove the mouse, and stopping the "tools" service from running will most likely create other problems.

If the mouse pointer is flying off the VM guest screen you may be able to increase the size of the guest screen by increasing resolution. I don't know how high a resolution you'll be able to achieve in 98 as I run XP as my guest on VMware Fusion. Another option is to run the guest full screen. That may be your best bet.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
swiptionupt
fireplace screen parts

Rarely, there may be a slight asymmetry in the healing of the eyelids. Excessive
char broil outdoor fireplace surgery Curcumin, the active ingredient found from the herb Turmeric, is actually a spice and food coloring compound has long been used in Asian countries as medicines to treat many difficulties from heartburn to arthritis. It was listed as an Assyrian herbal in 600 BC, used by ancient Greeks. But the most interesting and important news is that some recent
small gas fireplace insert In 1998, Royal Philips Electronics fathered Philips Healthcare Services and Royal Philips appears determined that their subsidiary will soon become King of the medical imagingequipment industry. This move apparently came in response to GE Medical Systems� announcement that it planned on becoming king itself of the ultrasound industry before the
Each day fast food advertisers bombard us with clever ads designed to get us to consume
surgery Hair loss treatments are usually divided into two groups: natural hair loss treatments and all the other hair loss remedies. Unfortunately, many people that experience hair loss are not aware of the natural hair loss remedies. They usually get frustrated after having side effects of the hair loss remedies or spend too much money on ineffective hair
easy green bean casserole recipe surgery Alcoholism facts can help one better understand the extent of alcoholism and alcoholism warning signs. One of the alcoholism facts is that alcoholism is a type of drug addiction that can be both physical and psychological. Facts of alcoholism include the reality that alcohol acts as a depressant on the central nervous system, resulting in a

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.