Will this memory work?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm looking to upgrade my memory to 4gb. I found this pretty quick. Looks like a good price. Could anyone tell me if this will work with my 2.4 Macbook that I got about 3 months ago right after the upgrade. Here is the link to the memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134605&nm_mc=OTC-17exta6&cm_mmc=OTC-17exta6-_-Memory+(Notebook+Memory)-_-Kingston+Technology-_-20134605

That looks to be correct. The spec should be PC2-5300 SODIMM memory. If you want to be absolutely certain, double-check it on crucial.com

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cant find Kingston manufacturer on crucial--am I just being stupid?

Try looking up your Mac (i.e. Apple => Macbook). That will tell you what memory type you use (I'm almost certain it's PC2-5300).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
djshew12,

I see no reason why that memory wouldn't work and it's a good price, too.

Noel

OP
D
Reaction score
Will I notice a big difference while running multiple creative suite applications at once? Will I notice a difference in gaming? What I'm asking is-- do i need this if I will be working on illustrator, indesign, photoshop, dreamweaver, etc. I will also be working with some video this summer. Will it be worth my money?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will I notice a big difference while running multiple creative suite applications at once? Will I notice a difference in gaming? What I'm asking is-- do i need this if I will be working on illustrator, indesign, photoshop, dreamweaver, etc. I will also be working with some video this summer. Will it be worth my money?

It depends on how much memory your system was actually consuming during the running of those applications prior to the upgrade.

Contrary to popular belief, adding memory does not "add speed". The only time a difference in performance is realized is if the computer did not have adequate memory for the tasks performed on it prior to the upgrade.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well I noticed a bit of a lag when I ran multiple applications at once. I was just wondering if anyone had made this upgrade for these same purposes and saw a difference.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I noticed a bit of a lag when I ran multiple applications at once. I was just wondering if anyone had made this upgrade for these same purposes and saw a difference.

It's one of those "your mileage may vary" type of things. Chances are, with those kinds of heavy hitter apps, you'll see a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
i felt a difference with photoshop when i did this very same upgrade.

it doesnt cost much and it's well worth it. I got the warning of memory needing to be freed up once when working on flash and lots of photoshop stuff at once.

with 4gb of memory hasn't happened yet, and probably never will.

DO IT!

haha

OP
D
Reaction score
Void a warranty?

ok, one last question. Will installing this void my applecare or warranty? I really can't afford to void anything because I break stuff a lot and I need stuff to be fixed for free. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
from what i have heard when i asked, changing your memory does not void your warranty. just be careful when doing it and pay attention to lining the slots up right, its actually a bit different then changing the memory on your standard windows machine with how its setup, you cant "see" the slots per say.

and the screws they use are ridiculous small that angered me.....

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, one last question. Will installing this void my applecare or warranty? I really can't afford to void anything because I break stuff a lot and I need stuff to be fixed for free. Thanks

Adding memory does not invalidate your warranty. In fact, Apple has instructions on how to do so. Just be careful and patient and you shouldn't have a problem. Do not apply excess force to the module or slots and make sure you line up the module properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.