Using My MacBook As A Dictation Machine

Reaction score
Hi to everyone

My first post here, so sorry if this has been mentioned in the past

Ok, I want to use my macbook as a dictation machine with the option of recording normally by means of start and stop and also more importantly voice activation.

I'm using it to take notes at lectures, but I don't want the hastle of buying a dictaphone and transfering data from that to my mac, I've got a really good external microphone and would like to use this instead of the inbuilt one on the macbook.

I need the files to record in mp3 or wav format.

I've had a really good look around on google but cannot find what i'm looking for, I don't mind paying for the software, but open source sounds better.

Thanks

Jarre

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
If you are looking for simple recording programs, you could download audacity for free...

I don't have it, but you can also upgrade to quicktime pro and record audio from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
jarrelook,

Welcome to the Mac Forums!

I agree with Thedspeth about Audacity - I've used it with the Mac microphone to make a recording of older tapes on a small tape recorder and it did a great job. Best thing is it's free. I don't know about stop and start recording, but with Audacity, you can just let it run and get everything as you speak it. Of course when you transcribe it, you'd have to listen to all the blank spaces as well as the spoken dialog in real time...

I hope you can find what you're looking for.

Good luck, Noel

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info, I will try both out and see which is best

Thanks very much, good forum this is :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.