Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
Ok, here is my setup, I have:

-HughsNet satellite internet, home plan
-HN7000S modem for HN service
-Linksys WRT54G router
-MBP C2D 2.5GHz

I'm trying to set my laptop to a static IP on my home network. When I do, I get "you are not connected to the internet" errors in Safari. I can also check iStat and it gives me two sections for airport and one seems to be frozen at the exact moment that I changed to a static IP. I know that on the home plan with HN, you cannot have a static external IP, but that is not what I'm trying to do.

I'm actually trying to get TouchPad Pro to work. I've got a no-ip server going, and i'm stuck here at the port forwarding step. I need a static IP so that I can tell the router to forward it's requests on 5900 to my laptop.

I'm following the instructions on the TPP website. I see that it mentions setting the DMZ in the DSL modem... I'm pretty sure that the HN7000S is the DSL modem in this case.

Any suggestions on this matter? I also need the IP to be static so that I can use TPP to access my iTunes from another room in my house. Thanks!

Picture 1.png

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would not set a static IP for port-forwarding. I no longer have a WRT54G to verify with, but I'm pretty sure you can forward to a host name instead of an IP address. Have you tried that?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would not set a static IP for port-forwarding. I no longer have a WRT54G to verify with, but I'm pretty sure you can forward to a host name instead of an IP address. Have you tried that?

you mean like myusername.local?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
you mean like myusername.local?

No, your computer name:

2008-05-27_1000.png

If that doesn't work, try lopping off the .local suffix.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, your computer name... If that doesn't work, try lopping off the .local suffix.

Well, that makes sense. :D
Thanks for the suggestion, I will have to go home and try that.

EDIT - I don't believe this is possible becuase when I go to the port forwarding section, the ip address section isn't one big box, the 192.168.1. part is not changeable. In other words, I can only input the last group of 3 numbers in the IP address.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
maybe I didn't pay attention to the DNS servers. I don't recall typing any while trying to make the IP static.

- EDIT -
This was the case. I had mistyped the dns address. The static ip is working correctly now. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.