New User - iBook g4

H

HuMpS 97 DoHc

Well I just bought it about a week ago and have a few questions.

I've installed firefox and msn mac on it. But now on my desktop i have a .dmg file for both programs. if i move them to the trash the programs won't start up from the icons i have in the dock. So what are they? and what can I do with them???

Also is it better to put the computer to sleep or to shut it down inbetween uses. Such as going from between work and home or just if I won't be using it for a few hours. so whats best????

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I don't use Firefox or anything msn, so the .dmg's are new to me. Between uses, just sleep it. I never shut down and that's fine

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
HuMpS 97 DoHc said:
I've installed firefox and msn mac on it. But now on my desktop i have a .dmg file for both programs. if i move them to the trash the programs won't start up from the icons i have in the dock. So what are they? and what can I do with them???

Just drag and drop the application from the .dmg file to your application folder. That is what you do to install most programs/applications. Then you can drag the .dmg file to the trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
rman said:
Just drag and drop the application from the .dmg file to your application folder. That is what you do to install most programs/applications. Then you can drag the .dmg file to the trash.
yup, mount the dmg, drag&drop the app into applications, eject the disk image, delete .dmg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
Use AdiumX (http://www.adiumx.com)... It's way better than anything. It supports AIM, IRC, Yahoo, MSN and Firefox.
And it's free.
It's the best chat client I've ever used.

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

What may or may not be obvious from above is that after you have dragged the icon to the Apps folder and then deleted the .dmg file, you can then drag the app to your doc.

As far as shut down or not, I have found that Macs are very quick to awake from sleep vs most PCs, thus I leave my eMac in sleep mode instead of turning it off. Plus, turning it off means waiting for it to boot and I'm not patient :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
"I don't use Firefox or anything msn, so the .dmg's are new to me. Between uses, just sleep it. I never shut down and that's fine"

I find that hard to believe...

You have 2,000+ posts on this forum and obviously use a mac quite a bit, but have never come across a .dmg file before???

Almost everything you download and install off the internet comes in dmg packages...

OP
H

HuMpS 97 DoHc

thanks for all the responses.
with your help i have the apps being able to run and my desktop is clean again :)
and I added them to my doc.

I just installed a airport extreme card and when I get home i'll be hooking up a wireless router to my cable internet and hopefully will have wireless freedom by this evening in my hosue :D

OP
H

HuMpS 97 DoHc

Well i got the wireless network working with no problems.

I love it. I'm sitting in a big comfy lazy boy in front of the tv typing this right now. Using my wireless logitech mouse on the arm of the chair and it works surprisingly good :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.