on Photoshop and SUDDENLY received warnings
that my startup disk is full. I have no idea
what to do or why this would be happening- this computer is not that
old and does not have much stuff on it.
HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Select your hard drive, and use the "Apple" and "I" keys together. (Get info)
It will tell you how much space you have left.

OP
A
Reaction score
my mac

thanks for the quick response:

my mac is telling me:

capacity: 111.47 GB
available: 180.5 MB
used: 111.29 GB on disk

daughter has been using IMovie for a Grad project - could that
be taking all my space away?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
daughter has been using IMovie for a Grad project - could that
be taking all my space away?
Definately...!
You are just about out of space on your HDD... You may want to have a talk with her! ;)

Usually, you'll want to leave at least 10% free space to run efficiently. As for now, you'll need to delete some things...

OP
A
Reaction score
IMovie - external hard-drive? - trying to free up space

Sorry I am so naive about this - appreciate your help.
My daughter has two IMovies she is making for grad gifts for friends.
One is 38.46GB and the other is 8.41GB
I see the files in both her personal folder
and also in the IMovie folder - could these be duplicate files?
How do I tell if I could safely get rid of one.

Also, is it possible to move all of this to an external
harddrive and have her run the IMovie from the laptop
and access the files off the harddrive.

Uggh, between the two of us, we know just enough
to be extremely dangerous to the health of a computer!:eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Got even worse news than Soulwar. You need at least 5GB HDD space for OS X to perform anywhere near decently and you only have 180MB. Here is a link to this and by all means set up an external drive and get those movies outta there pronto:-

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/lackofram.html

OP
A
Reaction score
thank you! - I have space back again!

Thank you so much for the help.
Daughter got rid of some files and I have
35 GB now ( whoo hoo - I feel rich!)
But as soon as this movie project is completed
it is all being removed (hopefully).

Reaction score
Help

I know this thread is old, but I am having the same thing pop up and it worries me... I only use my macbook for internet, MS word, music, and storing photos.

Capacity: 159.7 GB
Available: 263.1 MB
Used: 159.43 GB on disk

Im not sure what I can do to make space? I dont have anything in iMovie, or anything like that.

Any help would be appreciated!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My bet is that music and photos are taking most of your hard drive space. Moving those to an external hard drive should free up the space you need.

Reaction score
external hd

My bet is that music and photos are taking most of your hard drive space. Moving those to an external hard drive should free up the space you need.

I will have to try this. Thank you!
I use my music all the time, so I guess I'll have to remove my pics and see what happens.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This should get the photos moved without losing anything http://basics4mac.com/article.php/move_iphoto_lib

I use my iTunes library all the time as well. I currently have it on a Time Capsule to access it from anywhere on my network but it can just as easily be on an external hard drive for ease of use. iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media folder

Either iTunes or iPhoto you will need to make sure the drive is on and mounted before the programs are launched. If they are not the easiest fix is to close the program, mount the drive with the library, and re-launch.

I had an Automator script going at one time that attempted to mount my network drive then launched iTunes to avoid this problem.

Reaction score
now I'm scared lol

I had an Automator script going at one time that attempted to mount my network drive then launched iTunes to avoid this problem.

oh lord that's ^^ a lot I dont know about... If I take the music and put it on the Ex HD will that interfere with my iphone when I sync it? There are playlists I sync, not the whole library.

I may have to find a friend to help me with this. I dont want to lose any of my pics, most are of family and trips I've taken. But I also want my computer to work lol

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't worry the Automator script was overkill on my part. I tend to overdo things sometimes.

You should not have any problems with the iPhone. Just follow the directions in that Apple article I linked to. iTunes should then know where to find everything.

Basically following those directions tells iTunes to move the music/media (the stuff taking the most space) to another drive. The playlists and other library information remain in the default location and take up very little space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - OS X Lion 10.7 - 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - Bootcamp - Windows 7
disk inventory x is free and will give you a detailed map of what is taking up the most space on your drive(s).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome. So awesome. Thank you!! Im going to get an external hard drive right now!

You're welcome. Hope I have helped more than confused things for you. If you have any questions just post back and I'm sure someone will have an answer.

Reaction score
I'm struggling a bit with my Mac Mini. I got the startup disk full message recently and saw that I had around only 1gb left. Now, I only use my mac for photos and music and i've transferred that to an external drive.

After looking on this forum I deleted all my .dmg files that i'd left (total rookie!) and also downloaded Omni Disk Sweeper to see where all my memory was being taken up.

A bit of poking around showed that I had loads of OS9 'Classic Applications' on my mac mini! OS9!!!!!! This must have been from when I first got it and plugged it into the family G4 to transfer all my user account info etc over.

Can i just use something such as AppZapper to remove all this? Is there other os9 stuff that will be clogging up my hard drive? Is it even advisable to remove all the old apps??

Thanks in advance! :)

Reaction score
Same issue

My start up disk is full... So I deleted my entire photo library, which should have freed up 60GB of space... Why hasn't it? I did delete the trash also, but my stats are still the same, and I don't have a single picture in my laptop...

Capacity: 249.72 GB
Available: 3.27 GB
Used: 246.45 GB

Why?

I use my computer to DJ so I need it to function properly!

Reaction score
start up disk full

You're welcome. Hope I have helped more than confused things for you. If you have any questions just post back and I'm sure someone will have an answer.

I have Mac book-pro 13",
i receive a notification that "the start up disk is full please delet your file"
but i dont have access to my file i can see only a solid desktop:(

please help me

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.