Will this computer fit my needs?

Reaction score
I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

I am a PC user but as a graphic designer I am thinking of taking a plunge into Macs. My friend is selling his macbook and I'm considering buying it, but I just wanted to get some more opinions before to make sure the computer is good enough.

My needs:
-Be able to run Adobe photoshop and Adobe Illustrator simultaneously, without major loading times
-Be able to work with very large projects in photoshop(for example a 25"x25" document at 300 dpi) without slowing down the computer too much
-Be able to handle other programs, such as professional video editing software or flash

The computer is a Macbook with 2.0 ghz processor and 2GB ram. It is used with some marks on the outside, and comes with a ton of programs and applications installed. What would be a reasonable price for this?

Thanks

OP
D
Reaction score
I also forgot to mention that I'll be using this computer for some sound recording and editing, probable just with a firewire interface going into a DAW like Cubase. Will this be fine to do with the computer?

Reaction score
Well you would most likely want to upgrade your Ram to 4gb.

I think you might encounter slow-downs from time to time. Especially when editing 25"x25" 300dpi documents ;)

To run everything simultaneously, well; that would cause a big slow down in my opinion.

I'm not sure on a price, but I'd say check eBay and go around the average prices that have sold.

Best,
-AC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
For the kind of work you are talking about, I would suggest that ANY portable is rather under powered. I would be looking at a high end iMac or at a Mac Pro. Don't go with less than 4 GB of RAM, and for major Photoshop work, it never hurts to have two hard drives (Photoshop uses on-the-fly scratch disks, and is more efficient if there is a separate physical disk for this).

All of this would suggest either a Mac Pro or a second hand PowerMac G5 (you can add extra disks to both of these machines, and both will accommodate large amounts of RAM..

My 2 cents.

Reaction score
A 2.0 MacBook would really be pushing your luck. Even more so without a video card. I just dont see it really happening the way you would hope.

P.S. I dont think the 2.0s can take 4 Gb of ram

OP
D
Reaction score
yes the computer can only hold 2 gigs of ram as far as I know.

it sounds like the general consensus is that the computer won't be good enough (even though it would still be a huge upgrade from the current one I'm using)

Problem is don't have the cash for anything much nicer :(

What would be the ideal computer/specs for this work?
What would be the cheapest possible computer/specs that could still handle it?

Thanks guys, you've been really helpful

Reaction score
If you're really interested in a portable, it sounds like you're a professional user enough using hefty apps that you'd want at least a MacBook Pro. I would say so because you'll want the extra power/ports as well as the extra screen realestate. I would save up and get the MacBook Pro for portability with power and nice screen size, or just go with an iMac if portability isn't an issue.

Trust me. My MacBook is great for day-to-day stuff and some light photoshop/illustrator/design, but when I have a lot of apps open I start to feel confined - even with Spaces.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I had a 2GHz MacBook, the original one that could only support 2GB of RAM. It was underpowered and I couldn't stand using it for photo editing. The screen is way to small for any sort of editing. The machine isn't designed for the work you want to do.
Say no but thanks and buy a desktop. You will get a lot more bang for your buck.

OP
D
Reaction score
yeah after taking what you guys said into consideration I'm thinking desktop is the way to go. What are the minimum specs I should look for in an imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Minimum specs? I would say "the maximum you can comfortably afford". You appear to be looking for some pretty heavy horsepower, given what you are using your machine for.

Go for the full 4 GB of RAM, the 24" screen, and then fill out the rest of the specs with the best you can comfortably afford.

My rationale for the above recommendation? Here goes...

You want the RAM as your first priority because it is critically important in running such large and memory heavy apps as you call out.

You want the 24" screen as your second priority for two reasons. First, it uses the superior IPS LCD panel type (vs. the TN panel type used by the 20") and the second, the extra "real estate" will be truly welcome while working on things like Photoshop, with its plethora of on screen palettes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
I use my mac pro with 7 gb of ram.

I regularly design files at an output size of 160" x 54" @ 150dpi and can still render filters at that size :)

Gotta love dual processors. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.