complete newbie!!!

J

jonbartlett

I have to confess i have no idea how macs work! I'm a PC user at heart. However i've been trying to help out a friend of mine who has an old mac (uses Mac os 8) and he needs a driver for his HP laserjet printer. Now i've been able to download a driver file from HP's website but have no idea what to do with it now. It originally came as a .hqx file, which i extracted to a .sit file, which then i extracted and got 2 files, one with an .rsrc extension and the other that doesn't appear to have an extension.
My problem now is what the **** do i do with these files in order to get his printer up and running? I can't seem to do anything with them whatsoever!!
If anyone out there would like to lower themselves to my idiot level and help me out i would be very thankful!

Cheers
Jon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
well, thats quite a low level. lol! but I think the .rsrc is suppoosed to be a disk image type of thing, have you tried opening either of them? what do the icons look like?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
o, Im right, I think it is like a .dmg, try double clicking the .rsrc file and it should mount or something.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can try an drag and drop the icon on the system folder and see if it installs itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Old-style Mac files have two components, a "data" fork, and a "resource" fork. NTFS and FAT (the PC file systems) can't track both together, so you get a file and the .rsrc, with the contents of the resource fork.

You'll need to unstuff the files on the Mac, where it'll preserve the single file. Then drop it into the System folder, and use the Chooser to set up the printer.

OP
J

jonbartlett

Cheers so far everyone! I've unstuffed the original .hqx file on the mac and it has created a .sit file. Now when i try to do the same thing with this nothing happens! Not a thing! Do i need to unstuff this file as well, or is there something else i should be doing with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yup, unstuff the sit file too. what youu get from that should be a folder with an installer or something like that.

OP
J

jonbartlett

Sorted it all now folks! Thanks for your help! It seemed we needed a newer edition of stuffit expander! Once that was downloaded it all worked fine, and the printer is now up and running!

Cheers, your help was very much apprecaited! and i now know lots more about Macs (although i still prefer a good old PC!!!)

Thanks again!
Jon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.