MacBook Pro iSight questions

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post in the forum. I'm studying abroad in Spain next year and am currently in the market for a new notebook. I'm leaning toward getting a Macbook Pro, but have a few questions about the integrated web camera.

-How is the quality, overall?

-I've read that with older versions of iSight there was a short delay... is there a delay (either with video or audio) with the integrated cameras on the new Macbook Pros?

-This might show my techno ignorance, but I'll ask it anyway... will the fact that I'll be communicating with friends and family halfway around the world affect the fluidity of the conversation, or is it all about connection speed? I guess this sort goes along with the delay question -- will the cross-ocean distance add to any delay already present?

-Does anyone have a link to a sample iSight conversation, so I can get an idea of the quality?

-Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
My wife and I have two Macbooks. Hers being black, mine being white. Built-in iSight, Core 2 Duo, the works. Back when she was in the hospital being observed prior to brain surgery we routinely used iChat with our built-in iSight cameras to 'visit' while she was in-patient. In fact, she was glomming onto someone's WiFi which was suspected to be in an adjacent dorm room across the street. It was quite impressive, and even the doctors were amazed that we were able to do this. Since we live rather far from the hospital this obviously saved time and fuel while allowing us to stay in touch during this difficult time.

I've video conferenced with my brother in law to help him set up his Apple TV, which he bought after he acquired his Macbook (which he was convinced to buy after I gave him an extensive demo of mine while we were in a hospital waiting room.)

Granted, we all have pretty heavy duty high bandwidth available for it, and there were times when I'd video chat with someone and it got a little choppy, but otherwise it's eminently do-able. Heck, one day my wife was having difficulty telling a satellite installer what we wanted when we got a DVR upgrade with DirecTV. I put him on video (I was at work, she at home) and was able to explain to him exactly what we needed. He was quite impressed and taken aback as well. Like he was at the Jetsons' house. ;D

So yes, it works very well. It's best iChat to iChat, but I've managed to get hooked up with people who insist on using MSN messenger and that ilk. If you are communicating around the world, you should be fine with sufficient bandwidth. Keep in mind, however, that there will always be a delay when communicating halfway around the world because of the sheer distance. You'll see that on TV shows when they do that 'live via satellite' thing with reporters across the globe. That's because of the sheer distance signals have to travel. Speed of light is 186,000 miles a second, but it's at least a 48,000 mile round trip when you're bouncing off a satellite because they orbit at 23,000 miles or so to be in geostationary orbit. So of course a noticeable delay will build up, and you can tell when you are watching morning shows and the like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
nice job walker, hit the nail right on the head

OP
Y
Reaction score
Thanks! That definitely filled in some gaps for me.

I think I've pretty much settled on a Macbook Pro -- I've heard nothing but good things about the OS's stability and security. Plus, I'm a photographer, and that matte screen makes my mouth water -- it's so crisp, cabable of such color accuracy -- far superior to any other lcd I've seen on the market.

Think I'll hold off till August to order mine, though -- don't need it just yet, and hopefully by then the price will have dropped a bit.

I'm so pumped about it, though... now that I've finished my research. The wait might do me in!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
Good choice on the MBP! I have the 15.4" with the matte screen (being involved in graphic design) and with LED backlight it is amazing...it makes my mouth water everytime I open it haha. You are going to love it. And I use skype for isight with my girlfriend who has a PC and it works pretty good. Sometimes there are small delays but in general it works great.

Reaction score
Hi,

I am using VMware and am running XP. I tried to install the ISIGHT camera to XP. I checked under USB under VIRTUAL MACHINE in VMWare and it says that the camera is already connected (it says Disconnect Built-In iSight). I also installed the ISIGHT windows driver from the DISC 1 that came with my mac book pro laptop. Still I see a ? when I go to Device Manager in XP. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Reaction score
msn messenger mac to windows (isight)

msn messenger mac to windows
I am using my MBP to chat with someone using msn messenger on a windows. I cannot use my cam because there is no option to choose. what do you suggest?

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Stop posting in old threads and use google. MSN Mac doesn't support webcams.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.