Trouble uploading vista

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Macbook Pro; 20" 2.0 GHz iMac.
Hi,

I am having trouble uploading Vista. I bought and installed paralells. I then used my work copy of XP to get windows installed. I then got a message saying the number of permitted uploads had been exceeded so I bought Vista home basic.

Whenever I try to upload Vista using the install disc and either the install or upgrade exe files on that disc I go back to the error message about XP or get a request to register the XP which I now want to replace. I no longer have the XP key code and even if I did it would doubtless say again the number of uploads had been exceed.

Presumably I need to uninstall the XP (or part) that I have on my hard drive. But (if that is the answer) I cannot find it to delete it.

Hope that's clear. Any suggestions? Please keep it simple. ;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi,

I am having trouble uploading Vista. I bought and installed paralells. I then used my work copy of XP to get windows installed. I then got a message saying the number of permitted uploads had been exceeded so I bought Vista home basic.

Read below, you're going to need a full install version of Vista.

Whenever I try to upload Vista using the install disc and either the install or upgrade exe files on that disc I go back to the error message about XP or get a request to register the XP which I now want to replace. I no longer have the XP key code and even if I did it would doubtless say again the number of uploads had been exceed.

No such thing as "uploading" Vista. The correct terminology is "install". If you no longer have the PID key for your copy of XP, you must remove it. Your copy of Vista Home Basic will have to be a full install version, not upgrade. I realize you can install an upgrade version of Vista but that would be in violation of the MS EULA.

Presumably I need to uninstall the XP (or part) that I have on my hard drive. But (if that is the answer) I cannot find it to delete it.

Hope that's clear. Any suggestions? Please keep it simple. ;D

The answer is still the same... You must completely remove the copy of XP which can not be activated since you no longer have the PID key and Vista will have to be a single DVD full install copy.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply I know I have to remove XP. I just want to know how to do it. That's more important to me than whether I have the word install wrong ;) . The vista disc has two exe files one each for install and upgrade.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the reply I know I have to remove XP. I just want to know how to do it. That's more important to me than whether I have the word install wrong ;) . The vista disc has two exe files one each for install and upgrade.

Removing XP:

1. From a boot camp partition. Boot into OS X, run the Boot Camp assistant and use the "restore" function from the create partition option. That will completely remove XP along with the partition you created for it and restore everything back as it was before.

2. From Parallels Just start the Parallels program and delete the XP virtual machine guest.

Then install Vista, either in a new Boot Camp partition you created or in Parallels as a new virtual machine guest.

I hope this helps, if not, write back and we'll go from there. :D

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Removing XP:

1. From a boot camp partition. Boot into OS X, run the Boot Camp assistant and use the "restore" function from the create partition option. That will completely remove XP along with the partition you created for it and restore everything back as it was before.

2. From Parallels Just start the Parallels program and delete the XP virtual machine guest.

Then install Vista, either in a new Boot Camp partition you created or in Parallels as a new virtual machine guest.

I hope this helps, if not, write back and we'll go from there. :D

Regards.

Thanks, that worked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.