• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Effects in iMovie '08

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz Aluminium MacBook with 2GB DDR3 RAM and nVidia GeForce 9400M graphics ;)
Hi... Im planning on making the "switch" to Mac soon, one because Windows just sucks and two, because i do a lot of video work for presentations for my karate organization.

I've been reading reviews recently about iMovie '08, and most seem quite negative. What i want to know is, is it true that this latest version doesn't have any video effects? And how good is it really? (when compared to the previous version)

soz if im sounding like a total n00b, but im fairly new to Mac stuff, (in fact, i dont even own a mac yet! Lol) but im really curious about the above...
Thanks in advance! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none as of yet
I'm not sure about imovie but if you want really high quality apple offers final cut software for advanced editing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
first, you can get the last version (iMovie '06) free on the apple website

second, the iMovie series of movie makers are sort of like Windows Maker, it is meant for the basic user, and for people who want a quick drag and drop to create home movies. there are no effects in '08 but there are in '06, however '08 makes (IMO) the process super quick and easy, and offers all that you need.

If you need it for more advanced editing, you should check out Final Cut Express (or pro, but that costs a fortune, and is aimed at hollywood style studios) which costs around $100 (plz don't quote me).

But for Karate presentations, iMovie '08 should do fine. It will better let select the parts of the video you want, and will let you mash it up real easy on the "timeline". The titles will also work well for you.

Did i mention it was easy? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I can't see how you would use effects much for karate presentations. Perhaps you are thinking about transitions which iMovie 08 does have, 12.

As kmkl mentioned, you can download the previous version if you'd like to more capabilities. Problem is that only Apple knows how much future support they will give that product. I'm doubting they intend to do any. Hopefully they will bring some of those features into the next major release after iM08.

iMovie 08 is a fine editor for the average user. It is very quick to find the scenes you want and build up your video. Most of the people who complained about it were users of the previous versions of iMovie. I have to say, some of them whined just for the sake of whining. I would encourage you to try both and understand the benefits of both, and then make up your own mind.

People have speculated that Apple kept the new version of iMovie simpler than the previous versions so that the more serious amateurs would upgrade the US$199 Final Cut Express. Think of FCE as Final Cut Pro with the high end pro features removed. In other words, it is still a serious editing tool.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz Aluminium MacBook with 2GB DDR3 RAM and nVidia GeForce 9400M graphics ;)
Thanks! This has helped me! Now i really can't wait to get my mac!! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.