• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video production question

M

macinsandiego

i am going to puchase a canon production quality camera very soon. i am currently running a powermac g4 dual 1.25 with the 23inch hd monitor. one question i have is which program is the best for the production editing part of the film after all the recording is all done with. second question is will the same program allow me to burn it to dvd, as well as make the dvd menu. the third question has to do with high definition recording. if i were to purchase a high definition recorder, will a standard dvdr hold the hd format, or will i have to use a special dvdr, i know my superdrive will burn dvdr, but will it burn in HD.

thanks a lot for all the help. this is my first post but i have been reading here since i bought my machine.

dennis potts

OP
M

macinsandiego

awsome man, thanks for the quick reply. is this basically what production studios like fox, and dreamworks, ect. use for movies and movie trailers.

thanks again
dennis

OP
R

RobDreugan

You don't really have to do anything special as far as using HD goes; however, you're going to lose quality when you put HD footage on DVD, but it's going to be good quality regardless.

But, ya the production bundle should easily take care of your needs; you probably could use after effects along with livetype and motion, but one step at a time :p

To actually put HD footage or any footage for that matter, onto dvd it has to be encoded into MPEG-2 format. Doesn't matter where it came from, so again, you're going to lose some quality, because of compression.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.