Virtual PC on OSX 10.5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Aluminium MacBook
Hi all,

Just recently got me a MacBook and have been trying to install MS Virtual PC 7 on it. There seems to be a known issue and the whole problem and fix are documented here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919063

The problem is, on step step 10 i get the window appear but the only choice is 'Restart' and after restarting it's back to square one all ready for the same thing again.

Could anyone offer any tips on how to get this thing installed?

Thanks.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Aluminium MacBook
No need to reply. I have just found a rather dissapointing article:

Last week it was announced that VPC for the Mac 7.03 was the end of the line
for the product. Microsoft will not create a patch to fix any issues with
OSX 10.5 Leopard.

It was reported here http://www.macobserver.com/article/2007/12/12.10.shtml

What do people suggest otherwise? VMWare seems like the next logical choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Why don't you try bootcamp - or do you want both OS'es running at the same time

I guess Fusion or Parallels are your best option - Virtual PC was never as good as these anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2015 15", Powerbook G4 17" 2004
I've got parallels and it is very nice, but can you set up another OS e.g. Ubuntu and then still keep your xp saved for when you want to boot that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
It's been established for some time that Microsoft has no plans to make a version of Virtual PC that works on Intel Macs. It's an Intel Mac issue, not a Leopard issue. Boot Camp and Darwine are both free solutions you can use to run Windows programs you really need.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Aluminium MacBook
I need to run both OS's at the same time. I've just got WinServer 2003 installed on VMWare Fusion. Seems to work fantastic on my MacBook.

It's a shame Virtual PC is not supported on Intel Macs. I work for a Microsoft technology developer and we have a lot of VPC's for various environments.

Reaction score
Parallels XP Linux

>> I've got parallels and it is very nice, but can you set up another OS e.g. Ubuntu and then still keep your xp saved for when you want to boot that? <<

I have both windows XP and Ubuntu Linux set up on a Mac Mini and both run just fine under VMWare Fusion. They will both run together, but that gets a little slow. I also have both running on a 24" iMac under Parallels, but the Ubuntu Linux is somewhat limited and does not have, for example, the same range of screen resolutions (that is a problem with Parallels, not with Ubuntu which offers a very wide range of screen resolutions under Fusion).

If you have several operating systems set up under Parallels or Fusion, they come up as a menu and you click on the one you want to start.

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
VirtualPC was designed to work with the PPC processor on older non-Inel Macs (it works fine on my PPC G5 running 10.5 btw). M$ was never gong to update it for Intel. If you don't want to try Parallels, try VMWare's Fusion.

Reaction score
>> No need to reply. I have just found a rather dissapointing article:

Last week it was announced that VPC for the Mac 7.03 was the end of the line
for the product. Microsoft will not create a patch to fix any issues with
OSX 10.5 Leopard. <<

I have a perfectly good 15" G4 laptop but I have to work through a network that will ONLY recognize Windows Internet Explorer 6/7. Virtual PC is deadly slow.
My solution was ro get a Mac Mini which I run "headless" on the network and control it from the laptop. It isn't fast enough for video or fancy graphics, but for our mostly text based applications, it is just fine.

John F

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Aluminium MacBook
Thanks for the replies.

Since Virtual PC is built on VMWare technology anyway I've opted for VMWare which performs perfectly well on my MacBook.

Just have to build up a library of VMWare images.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.