Quality difference in 20/24"

Reaction score
Hi guys,

simply put, I bought a new 20" iMac about 10 days ago and still have the right to return it.

The glossy screen isn't an issue and the size is fine, but as a lot of other people have been noticing, the quality isn't 'wow' like the old white imacs, and it has a very slight gradient being a touch darker at the top and lighter at the bottom.

If I wasn't a graphic designer by trade then this really wouldn't be an issue, but it is slightly annoying as I am working with colours all day.

My question is this: is the 24" screen a lot better?

Is it worth me sending mine back and paying the extra for the 24" in terms of quality alone? leaving out size as an issue.

Anyone with any knowledge or experience with both screens, please give me some input.

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2015 15", Powerbook G4 17" 2004
The 20" iMac screen is beautiful, but i opted for the 24" because i wanted the best for my money and thought i may aswell pay extra for the better screen.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The 20" iMac uses a TN Panel while the 24" uses a better IPS Panel. Google for the difference.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I thought thats what this forum is for?

Of course I can google it too...

I had to leave. That is why I told you to google IPS and TN for the difference.

OP
A
Reaction score
Right, I have arranged for my imac to be collected from John Lewis for a refund and have just purchased a c2d g5 imac from ebay, love those screens!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mean the 20" White one with the Intel C2d?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
As far as I know, only the latest model aluminum 24" iMac uses the IPS panel. It is by far and away the best LCD technology out there. Is it too late to consider going to the 24" aluminum iMac?

Reaction score
okay here i Go. I 1st purchased the 24" iMac, i loved it..for a while. did some research i know all about the screen issues etc etc, but it seems it was usually the older ones that had the issues but regardless no screen is going to be perfect. 24" 26" 100" lol just jokin but ya know what i mean. but the screen on the 24" to me was too big for what i needed it for and too bright literally it hurt my eyes at night when the lights were off. I only use the computer to surf the web, download music, store documents for work and store pictures. So i decided the 20" iMac with 2.66 GHz was perfect for me. the screen has nothing wrong with it only difference is it is not as bright its just perfect to me. and im happy. :D . it all depends on the person we all have our own opinion this is just mine.

Reaction score
wellll....i got my 24" back, the 20" really wasnt doin it for me. I would say if you could still return the 20" and you have the extra money for the 24 then by all means do it. i had to go back to the 24 the screen is just that much better and Couldn't go wrong with the extra 4 inches it really does look a lot better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.