Ssh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20", 2.4ghz iMac/4 gigs of ram + a 2.1ghz MacBook/160gb 7200 rpm Seagate HD/1 gig of ram
Now, I know via terminal you can very easily create a ssh connection to a computer of your choice (in my case my iMac at home). When you do this tho, all your doing is creating a "tunnel" to your other computer. How do you direct internet traffic through it (so that when I'm in public, my passwords for websites are more protected)?

Thank you for your time.
Cpt. Morgan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Actually it isn't a tunnel yet,...You've just established a connection.

I use SSH Tunnel Manager. I've also added an SSH listening port on my Mac since some places I do work for block outbound traffic on port 22.

SSH Tunnel Manager will allow you to prebuild tunnels to many different ports and IP's and then also manage the connection information. It's a trimmed down version of the windows app PuTTY.

Or if you'd just like to build the tunnel every time manually the syntax is this,..

sudo ssh username@sshserver -L localport:destinationserver:destport

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.