Why is it rare??

Reaction score
Hey all!

I was wondering why the G4 cube is so rare? People are talking about it elsewhere and are saying its rare and they really want one bad. So yeah, why is it rare? Did it only come out for like a month or something? Whats the deal?

Thanks in advance :)

C

CaptainMack

its rare because it flopped. noone bought it. there were many problem like small cracks and turning off accidently.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Oh... werent the cracks from vibration form the fans and stuff? So... it basically was a good idea that turned into a bad products?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I have one. it has no fans, it runs like a 1.6 ghz g5, and its only 450 mhz. its beautiful,
I love it, kinda sucks having everything external, but it works great.

C

CaptainMack

no, there were no fans, that was why it was great. the cracks were not really cracks at all, but little lines in the molding, and people thought they were cracks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ya, well mine doesnt have any of that, it gets pretty hot having no built in cooling except for the vent,and I love the monitor it came with. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I am very interested in clasic Macs. I might get a friends/friends Mac clone w/ system 7.5 :alien:

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Macman said:
ya, well mine doesnt have any of that, it gets pretty hot having no built in cooling except for the vent,and I love the monitor it came with. :mac:
When you say vent, you mean just a opening? Or is there a fan inside? You think It'd melt....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
shaun89 said:
When you say vent, you mean just a opening? Or is there a fan inside? You think It'd melt....

cubesneak4.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
witeshark said:
I am very interested in clasic Macs. I might get a friends/friends Mac clone w/ system 7.5 :alien:
I have an old quadra 650 sitting in my closet. but on the cube, the entire core and insides come out in 1 piece, its cool. and yes, its just a vent. I thought I saw a thread showing pictures of our macs, maybe Ill post some. :mac:

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Well... i guess its just now that you need intense cooling for high end computers... So u think the cube wasnt at that stage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no, its definitely in the same class if not one above macs like the g4 quicksilver and g4 mdd. apple was trying to keep it within a certain size, and a perfect square/cube, which meant there wasnt enough room for a fan or other cooling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
No Fan. Not at all.

The cube was "convection cooled." The heat it generated caused an upward air draft. The negative pressure generated by the air movement sucked in cool air through the bottom of the machine.

The G4 cpu it used was, for the time, both fast and power-efficient. Partly because it ran at such low clock speeds. The power supply was external, and there were not PCI cards or extra drives to generate heat inside the case.

Current chips are much bigger (more transistors) and are clocked much higher. Thus, they generate much more heat than the old G4s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
G4 Cube Specs

Announced in July 2000, the PowerMac G4 Cube introduced a dramatic new case design. Housed in an 8x8x8 cube, the G4 Cube combined the elegance of the iMac with the power of the PowerMac G4. The G4 Cube was a foray into the business market, as well as an answer to those who wanted an iMac-like machine, with more choice in monitors.

The Cube traded expandability for its diminutive size: There were no PCI slots, and while the Graphics was fit into an 2x AGP slot, there wasn't room for full-length AGP cards. With the exception of PCI expansion, the Cube was as versatile as it's larger G4 cousin: Three RAM slots, an AirPort slot, and two USB and FireWire ports.

One gripe many people had with the Cube was its lack of conventional Audio input and output. Instead, it came with an external USB amplifier and a set of Harman Kardon speakers. The amplifier had a standard mini-plug headphone output, but there was no mic included, and having USB as the only sound-input option was considered limiting by many.

Shortcomings aside, the Cube was a remarkable feat of engineering, crammed inside an elegant case. The Cube shipped to retail markets with a 450 Mhz G4 processor, a 20 GB hard drive, a 56 kbps modem, 64 MB of RAM, and Apple s Pro Mouse, for $1799. Another configuration was available through the Apple Store, with a 500 Mhz G4, a 30 GB hard drive and 128 MB of RAM, for $2299.

The Cube was not nearly the success that Apple had hoped it would be. The consensus was that Apple had misjudged the market, making the Cube an expensive "luxury" computer instead of a cheaper monitor-less iMac. In december the low-end configuration received a price cut to $1499.

In February 2001, The cube received a feature and price change. The low-end configuration was repriced at $1299. A "better" configuration was made available, with a CD-RW drive and 128 MB of RAM, for $1599. Finally, the high-end version got a 60 GB hard drive, 256 MB of RAM, a CD-RW drive and an 32 MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX video card, and sold for $2199.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats my baby. maximum OS= 10.3.5? Im on 10.3.6 now. it has a dvd-rom/cdrom drive.
I love it.

P

powercat

Hi

I do own Cube G4 450mhz and doing well. The only worst is I wouldn't use the computer on a hot day as my computer room don't have window. The Cube suddenly went into frozen state when the screensaver just went back and forth because it was overheating. Usually I would have usb fan running around the cube to keep the temperature low. I rather use the Cube when it not so hot in the room and it best. It doesn't have CPU Fan at all. While I'm not using Cube on a hot day, I rather user G3 Blue & White Tower.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.