Desktop question

M

matoo

Hi folks,
I just picked up a wonderful new 20" iMac G5 last night and I'm loving it so far. Was really hating my XP machine and played with a buddy's Power mac and fell in love.

Here is my problem. I installed all the necessary software for my new printer and the icon are on the desk top out of the dock. I tried dragging them to the trash, but then it removes them. How do I remove them from this area but still keep and access the programs?

Thanks in advance.
Matoo

OP
D

Desolate One

You can either drag them to the dock or into your applications folder. The Trash bin is a bit different then Windows Recycling bin. The Trash will remove the program altogether, not just the icon as in Windows.

Am I far off guys? I'm still very green to Macs myself. ;)

OP
C

CaptainMack

yes you are correct. except for dragging it to the dock. that will only creat a shortcut to it, not place it there. to add and remove shortcuts to the dock, just drag in and out. most people keep applications in the application folder in your home directory, but you can really keep it wherever you want.

i hope that help you out. and btw, welcome to mac-forums1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I keep my apps in the apps folder right inside the hd.

OP
M

matoo

Thanks, that was what I was looking for.
I just wanted to keep the desktop as clean as possible. :cool:

OP
M

matoo

Ok, now I have a new/related desktop problem.

I downloaded ircle 3.1 so I could still use a chat room I frequent. Problem is I cannot remove the icons from the desktop. They won't go to the app folder, and the weird thing is when I tried to just move it to the trash.
It acts like a CD, meaning the trash bin becomes an eject symbol.
What am I missing?

OP
D

Desolate One

It's prolly a mounted disk image. If you open up your finder window does it show up w/ the drives w/ an eject symbol next to it?

OP
D

Desolate One

It's a mounted disk image. Just click the eject icon next to it and it'll unmount. Files with the .dmg extention are disk images that are mounted, just like the file in question.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.