worth the extra $500??

Reaction score
hey im new here.. first post woo hoo....
anyway..
im buying a Macbook Pro in a few weeks.. there is a $2000 and a $2500
the lower price only has 2.4 ghz processor and the other a 2.5ghz. and 50 extra gig harddrive.. is it really worth the extra $500 or am i missing something.?

im ganna be learning video editing and doing a little graphic design any he; appreciated

Reaction score
Doesn't the 2.5ghz come with a 512 graphics card and the 2.4 has the 256.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
Not really worth it considering the 4-10% difference in performance which is hardly noticeable.

Here's a quote from Anandtech Review

How much does Apple charge for the average 5% improvement in performance? Unfortunately you can't just purchase the CPU upgrade, you have to buy the $2499 model instead of the $1999 model. You get another 50GB of hard disk space (250GB vs. 200GB) and 512MB of video memory along with the CPU upgrade but you're paying an extra $500. Note that Intel only charges Apple an additional $75 for the faster CPU ($316 vs. $241), but since the CPU is soldered onto the motherboard you can't swap chips yourself.

If all you care about is the larger cache, the $500 upgrade cost is a tough pill to swallow. Even the increase in drive space isn't all that attractive for the money. The increase in video memory is nice but 256MB should be all you need for smooth Exposé performance on the 15" 1440 x 900 display.

Our recommendation? If you're going to upgrade your notebook in another 1.5 - 2 years anyways, pocket the $500 and don't bother with the added cache. It's not going to do much for you today.

This performance comparison also means that the base MacBook can offer very similar performance to the MacBook Pro, just as you'd expect. The only reasons to buy the Pro are, as we mentioned, mostly feature-based.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3246&p=12

1nteresting

The main reason I would go for it, is the upgraded (512mb) graphics card.

OP
G
Reaction score
yea now that u mention the graphic card.. that does look like a almost 2x upgrade.. eh. ill see when i get to the apple store ill probly spend an hour and a half (as i did before i got the iphone)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.