Web pages freeze while loading

Reaction score
Recently, we have had numerous intermittent problems with web pages starting to load, then freezing halfway through and taking forever to finish, sometimes even timing out completely. It happens at all times of the day and night and when there are no phones or other appliances in operation. It happens while using either Safari or Firefox.

We have Roadrunner as our ISP and an airport extreme router. Any tips for troubleshooting the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
more info on the pages, browser and what version of os x you are using might be helpful, thanks

OP
K
Reaction score
OS is leopard 10.5.2, browsers are safari 3.1.1 and firefox 2.0.0.14.

problems happen at random on virtually any page, including yahoo, amazon, and google but we haven't been able to discern any pattern. At times everything works fine. We seem to get email fine (via apple's mail program).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
First.. Make sure you're completely caught up on updates. Sometimes it the smallest thing that can make your browsers not work. (Happened to my mom the other day on her MBP).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
After you check that you are up-to-date on the software/firmware, I would consider changing the channel your airport extreme is broadcasting on. By default, most (if not all) routers come set on channel 6. So anyone in the area who hasn't changed the channel is competing for bandwidth even if you aren't on the same network. You have 11 to choose from so pick a different channel. If you're concerned about picking one someone else is occupying, download a copy of iStumbler and see what WIFI networks your computer can see and what channels they are operating on.

Edit: I just ran iStumbler here at home and my MB is picking up 5 WIFI signals, 4 of which are on channel 6 while mine is on channel 1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.