as an External Screen

Reaction score
Hello friends.

I'm about to finally purchase myself an Xbox 360. Trouble is, not only do I not have an HDTV, my TV is a decade old piece of crap that I can't afford to replace. I've got my nice little Macbook though, and it's screen that's about equivalent (at least in pixels) to a 720p set. What might I need to set up my Macbook as an external screen for an HDMI hookup? Specifically, what might I need that's cheep?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I think my TV is more than a decade old and it doesn't bother me with my 360. I'd say a 13" screen would be a little small really.

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What might I need to set up my Macbook as an external screen for an HDMI hookup? Specifically, what might I need that's cheep?

Thanks!
Nothing... and certainly nothing 'cheap'. It's a notebook, not a monitor.
The cheapest thing to do is buy a small TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
You can not use your laptop as an external screen for another video source. Your video parts are out only. Not in.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
it's not ideal, but you could work up something with an elgato eye tv. wouldn't be hdmi, but conceivably it should work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
it's not ideal, but you could work up something with an elgato eye tv. wouldn't be hdmi, but conceivably it should work.

i thought about doing this a while back with a new PS3. I ended finding out that the usb eyetv creates all sorts of lag, which is no good for gaming.

i would just spend 200$ on a monitor, and call it a day. something with dvi/hdmi should be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' MBP, Mac minis x3, Power Mac G4 (AGP), 13'' White MacBook, eMac
They do a thing called eye tv what is a usb adaptor, what lets you connect things to it, only thing is the MacBook will have to be running.

check this video out

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6FXqSz1IGjc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
Yea you could get a tv tuner and hook the xbox up through that, then go into the software and put it on channel 3 or 4 or whatever the input channel is. It in theory should work fine. Personally I would say save up for a flat panel lcd with hdmi, rgb, dvi, cable, and other inputs so you can use it for your macbook and xbox and tv, etc. Thats what I did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
kgeier82 is right. TV cards aren't going to help they'll introduce a lag that's unacceptable for gaming.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i wonder if that's changed...

i had an old dell xps d300 (that would be a PII 300mhz with maybe 512MB memory running win 98 at the time) that had a hauppage PCI tv tuner card.
i hooked my ps1 to it and was able to play granturismo through it pretty flawlessly, though the window was smallish, maybe 800x600 or 600x400, but part of that was probably due to the output of the ps1, there was really no need to have resolutions higher than standard tv definition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.