Digital Photography Camera's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
I'm actually very keen in doing photography. Seriously willing to commit to it.

My current budget is around 500USD. In Malaysian currency its 1,600+

Have visited a few places, the staff there just dont know what they're even selling. If you get what I mean. Anyway. I'd love to start. But I've got no idea what kind of camera to get.

What I'd actually like would be at least a good stable camera. Not too big, easy to carry , comes with the blast/burst feature ( not sure if thats the correct name ) Memory wouldnt be a problem right? I recall that they're using memory cards now.

I'm also very specific about camera resolution just so you guys know. =x

Would appreciate any input. Thanks !

Reaction score
Are you looking for a Point and Shoot recommendation or DSLR?

OP
Lytheil
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
Point and shoot. DSLR seems.. Complicated. =x

Reaction score
Check out the Canon G9. I believe that one runs around $449USD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Point and shoot. DSLR seems.. Complicated. =x

Well, if you're willing to commit to it, then you should actually get a dSLR imo.
It's not that complicated. But if you want a small camera that you can easily carry with you, but still has loads of options, then the Canon G9 would be an excellent choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
Please elaborate on "Seriously willing to commit to it"

Anyway, I second Sennec

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac with 2GB of RAM
Sennec I completely agree with you.....imo you can not fully commit to photography without a Dslr.....but the g9 is a good choice

Reaction score
I know that you said you're specific about resolution, but that really isn't much of a factor nowadays.

Reaction score
If you want to learn about photography, and truly make it a hobby, then forget about Point and Shoots, for they are a waste of time.

But if you aren't exactly serious about photography, and learning composition and other technical aspects to it, then by all means, get the Canon G9.

Digital SLR cameras will give the photographer much more freedom to the photo, and of course you have the huge line of lenses to choose from.

Everything in life can be complicated, which is why we learn things that are complicated. So that once we learn it, it's as easy as toasting bread...

If you want to get into the real concept of photography, then get a Canon 300D which are fairly cheap, or a 350D if you can find one in your budget.

Or a Nikon D40/D70.

Think about it, take your time, and ask yourself what you mean by photography.

Do you just want a camera to take pictures at vacations and friends, or do you want a camera to take brilliant images and create a new hobby?

Best,
-AC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Sennec I completely agree with you.....imo you can not fully commit to photography without a Dslr.....but the g9 is a good choice

That's relatively short sighted.

What about film SLR users? Or MF and FF users? A person with a $12000 MF 16mp digital back MF Hasselblad is probably very committed to photography...I would guess.

Ed. Oh...and David Hobby from www.strobist.com regularly uses a Canon g9 P&S. It has a hot shoe and he gets some photos from it that would have you guessing what $1000 lens he used...

Reaction score
Well photographers that don't want to carry large amounts of gear will typically take along there advanced point and shoots (i.e. G9)

If you want to learn photography, then get a film SLR if prices are too steep.

Ask yourself this:

Do I want to do photography as a hobby, learn more about it, and keep it up with new gear, lenses, bodies, flashes, filters, etc etc?

Or do I want a nice small camera to take with me everywhere I go that I want to take pictures of people, buildings and sites.

-AC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
That's relatively short sighted.

What about film SLR users? Or MF and FF users? A person with a $12000 MF 16mp digital back MF Hasselblad is probably very committed to photography...I would guess.

Ed. Oh...and David Hobby from www.strobist.com regularly uses a Canon g9 P&S. It has a hot shoe and he gets some photos from it that would have you guessing what $1000 lens he used...
I still know a couple using view cameras. I'd say they're pretty serious :)

OP
Lytheil
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd say that I want to commit to it. Not take petty pictures but taking amazing shots. I've always had this thing for photography since I was a little kid. Anyway. I'm considering the Canon 300D , Its still totally out of my budget though. I do inline skating ALOT. I'm just wondering if the DSLR camera's has the burst feature. ( Its the take 3 - 5 shots in 1 second feature? )

Anyway. Going to the convention today! I'll be buying the lenses separately

Thanks for the information guys! Appreciate it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
My D200 will do 5 frames per second. Not too bad actually.. about the speed of my F3 with the MD-4 attached or my F4s, come to think of it.

OP
Lytheil
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got my G9's at around 600USD which would be around $2000 in Malaysia. They're expensive over here in Malaysia. Blah. But anyway. The G9 is a great choice! Am at starbucks right now. Testing out the camera. There's one thing I dont like about it though. Its the system. I would prefer using iPhoto instead of the program that they provide with for the Macintosh. ( Is there a way? ) Anyway.. Thanks for the tips people! Appreciate it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
I'd assume their system has some basic editing accompanied with it's photo uploading and orgainizing. But if you want to use iPhoto, you should be able to:

1)Make sure the camera is off
2)Connect the USB cable to the camera
3) Connect the USB to the computer
4)Set the camera to play/view pictures
5)Power the camera on
6)Open iPhoto

I don't have a G9 but I do have a simpler canon point and shoot and these are the steps I use to off load into iPhoto.

Edit: In your case with the G9, to go into viewing mode you just press the silver button on the back, above the LCD screen (I figure you know this, but I'll just point it out for the thoroughness of my answer)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
If you are serious get a DLSR, as you will soon want to do more than what the average compact digital camera offers.

Reaction score
canon Slrs are pretty much best on the market, they perform very well, and have the lowest amount of noise in there photos across the market ( nikon canon sony ansd samsungs erghh)

i would reccomend one. I work in electrical retail, and im one of the few who know what they are on about!

The kit lens is not brilliant but it will give you a chance to play with the settings.

A true DSLR will do the "burst" as u put it. Furthering on that a slr will have a FPS rating that its processor will be able to handle. And a max number of images it can buffer before it needs to write to the card.

The best settings for this would be the automated "sport" setting and the focusing to AI ( i think cant remember name) focusing, which will constantly refocus on the subject matter.

An entry level DSLR whilst not absolutly brilliant will still yeild superior results over a point and shoot as you have a much greater range of control concerning ISO levels, and shutter speeds as well as how the unit interprets colour

Also you get to take photos in RAW format which means u can control the white balance at a later date on your pc ( so u could make a picture colder coloured or warmer coloured in its simplist form)

Save up a bit more money and get a entry level DSLR, with a decent all around lens.

you will not regret it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
I'm sure he's really appreciative of everyone's continued suggestions, but he said he already bought the G9. No reason to make him feel regretful by continuing to tell him he should have gotten a DSLR.

Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - Penryn 2.4ghz
I don't hear too many people say they want to get serious about photography and stick with a p&s. Buy a DSLR, you won't regret it. Canon xt and xti are both relatively small for a SLR and have all the features you could possibly want it you're just starting out. Go test them out at your local Best Buy or Circuit city and see what you think. I guarantee if you'll want an SLR if you're comparing it to a p&s for about the same price. You can find used DSLR's for pretty cheap these days on craigslist or the POTN forum in the for sale section. Check it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.