Advent USB Hub

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2015 15", Powerbook G4 17" 2004
Bought a advent 4 port glow hub today for 12.99 sterling and i plugged it in and it isn't working, it lights up but it wont power usbs :( anyway of making this work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Bought a advent 4 port glow hub today ... it isn't working, it lights up but it wont power usbs :( anyway of making this work?

Powered hubs are the way to go with MacOS. A search for the Advent brand http://uk.shoppydoo.com/prices-hubs-advent.html shows me that the £12.99 one has a power supply. I note that the reviews of the Advent aren't exactly complimentary.

Maybe you need to install drivers. Does the Advent have an installer CD with it, and is it Mac-compatible? It should be, it's just a peripheral hardware item, and OS X accommodates numerous peripherals without the need for added drivers.

Check your System Profiler (in either Applications or Utilities) and choose USB. See what items your Mac system says are connected.

This may seem obvious, but try connecting the USB hub in one of these different ways:
1. Power the hub on first, plug some USB peripheral (eg. flash drive) into it, and then connect the hub to your computer USB port, Mac computer on
or
2. Plug some USB peripheral into the hub (off), plug the hub into your Mac (off), then power the hub on, and then start your Mac (you can interchange those last two)

You might then try other variations on which is switched on or plugged in first.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Basically it hasn't come with a cd or a power supply, i wouldn't know were to find drivers, you see its only a simple 4 port hub, but the mac won't even recognise it :S Its not even reconised on the utilities>usb bit.

Not sure were to go next, it was 12.99 and thats a lot for me lol so i want to get this working, i can't see why it wouldn't be compatible.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do no USB devices mount at all or just ones that need power? If it's the later, you need a Power Supply for that HUB.

I have never once needed drivers for any USB Hub on any system. I think it's a Power issue or shall we say the LACK of power. If you plug say a keyboard into the Advent HUB does it work? A Mouse?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No the keyboard and mouse don't work fully either, did when i booted but seemed to loose power, your probably right i'll need a power supply, now to find one lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.