How to

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20", 2.4ghz iMac/4 gigs of ram + a 2.1ghz MacBook/160gb 7200 rpm Seagate HD/1 gig of ram
I'm wondering if there is anyway, through terminal or otherwise that I can have my MacBook NOT go to sleep when I close the lid. Reason is if I need to run a process and put it in my bag and go somewhere.

I find it annoying that Windows still has some very simple, useful abilities that 10.5 does not.

Also, does anyone know of information on lots of terminal commands that do various thing. The last week I've been getting into various things within terminal (such as trying to install ettercap/air crack but I haven't got them to work, any help on that one?).

Thank you for your time,
Cpt. Morgan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I'm wondering if there is anyway, through terminal or otherwise that I can have my MacBook NOT go to sleep when I close the lid. Reason is if I need to run a process and put it in my bag and go somewhere.

The reason it goes to sleep is to prevent you from doing exactly that.

If you really want to cook your MacBook's internals, I suggest removing the battery and putting it into an electric oven at the lowest setting. You'll destroy your MacBook just as effectively, but much more quickly.

You can safely run your computer with the lid closed, and it will work fine if you connect it to an external mouse and display. But you should never run it inside a bag.

Reaction score
leaving your computer running inside a bag... while it's being moved around

best idea I've ever heard

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20", 2.4ghz iMac/4 gigs of ram + a 2.1ghz MacBook/160gb 7200 rpm Seagate HD/1 gig of ram
PC's seem to move fine even when running. The first post makes most sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Well let me add a bit - running a laptop in a bag is a very bad idea. Very bad. Have you not noticed your macbook warming up when it's running?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is true, this is why I'd only do it or a short period of time. MB's run hot... even with smc fan control really cranking it.

I've noticed even running just youtube vids the MB will get very hot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 13'' intel 2.4 ghz, 2gb ram. Imac powerpc g3 512mb ram 750mhz, ipod touch 8gb, ipod shuffle
You can safely run your computer with the lid closed, and it will work fine if you connect it to an external mouse and display.
what exactly needs to be turned on/activated for that to work? i have both of those plugged in right now, and when i close it, it just goes to sleep.

13'' macbook w/leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dell Inspiron 8600 manual said:
Do not store your computer in a low-airflow environment, such as a closed briefcase, while it is running. Restricting the airflow can damage the computer or cause a fire.

Seriously, it's a really, really bad idea to run any portable computer without any air circulation. Perhaps some PC notebooks aren't designed with the same sort of protective mechanisms that Macs are, but let me emphasize--you don't want a laptop to be operating while it's in a bag. Period.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what exactly needs to be turned on/activated for that to work? i have both of those plugged in right now, and when i close it, it just goes to sleep.

13'' macbook w/leopard
Yes, and you can click the mouse to wake it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 13'' intel 2.4 ghz, 2gb ram. Imac powerpc g3 512mb ram 750mhz, ipod touch 8gb, ipod shuffle

13'' macbook w/leopard
ok ill try that out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

13'' macbook w/leopard

You have to install an app to stop it going to sleep, such as insomniax.

Be careful though :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.