Help...Can't find HD on Disk Utility

Reaction score
I was using my macbook this morning when it suddenly stopped working so I held the power button down and then when I tried turning it back on it wouldn't boot. It goes to a screen with a folder with a question mark on it. I can't access single user mode, but I can start up my leopard dvd and run disk utility. However, disk utility doesn't show any drives? it can find my HD. What should I do? My macbook is still under warranty and I bought it directly off the apple site. Do I need to contact apple directly or can I take my macbook to an apple store? Any way that I can fix this myself? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
can you see your HD, it wasn't clear

First try repair disk in disk utility

Otherwise take it to the Apple store - they will be able to help

Reaction score
if your computer shows the flashing question mark and Disk Utility can't find your drive, it sounds like your harddrive is dead. Bring it to an Apple Store, but be prepared to hear that.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Ya I'm pretty sure that it's dead. When I first opened disk utility when I first had the problem my HD was visible so I tried to do the repair but it said there was an error and my macbook started making a weird sound and now when I go to disk utility the HD is no longer visible. I guess I'll just take it to an apple store and see what they say...

OP
Z
Reaction score
I wouldn't have any sort of problem with warranty would I? I bought my macbook last year in august and it says that it comes with 1 year warranty. I hope I don't have any problem with that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
A hard drive should be covered under warranty within the first year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.