carbon copy clone to my internal drive wont boot

Reaction score
i installed 10.5 on an external firewire drive, and can boot from it, everything is good. but now i wanted to copy that drive to my internal to switch my laptop over. so i carbon copy cloned my external volume to my "macintosh hd" while booted from the external drive. it said it would be bootable, but when i restarted, it gave me the "you must restart your computer" screen with all the different languages, and a bunch of text refferring to kernals and what not. do i have to go about it a different way? im afraid ive done something wrong. any help would be much appreciated. thanks!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i installed 10.5 on an external firewire drive, and can boot from it, everything is good. but now i wanted to copy that drive to my internal to switch my laptop over. so i carbon copy cloned my external volume to my "macintosh hd" while booted from the external drive. it said it would be bootable, but when i restarted, it gave me the "you must restart your computer" screen with all the different languages, and a bunch of text refferring to kernals and what not. do i have to go about it a different way? im afraid ive done something wrong. any help would be much appreciated. thanks!!!

I know the developer of SuperDuper had quite a bit of trouble adapting to the changes introduced with 10.5. CCC is very similar, but I don't know if it has been fully updated to work with Leopard yet. I would try SuperDuper instead - it has yet to fail me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Was the internal drive Apple Partition Map formatted prior to cloning?

You can always do an erase and install assuming you have the Leopard install disk and transfer files over from the external.

And yes good advice from cwa107 - SuperDuper is the best program for copying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.