Why isn't my battery charging??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
Hey all -

According to coconut battery, my computer is plugged into the wall, but not charging. Help!

Picture1-16.png

Picture2-10.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
What about the battery icon on the Menu Bar? Does it indicate that the battery is charging?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What color is showing in the MagSafe light? Green? Amber?

OP
iLindzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
What about the battery icon on the Menu Bar? Does it indicate that the battery is charging?

I have a pic in the original post of my menu bar. The icon looks like it's charging because it has the little plug indicating that it's plugged into the wall. BUT.. the % has only gone down since my post. I've had my computer closed for the past couple hours, so it hasn't gone down considerably, but it's definitely not going up.

What color is showing in the MagSafe light? Green? Amber?

The light is green.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
I have a pic in the original post of my menu bar. The icon looks like it's charging because it has the little plug indicating that it's plugged into the wall. BUT.. the % has only gone down since my post. I've had my computer closed for the past couple hours, so it hasn't gone down considerably, but it's definitely not going up.

The light is green.

Actually, the image you have in your first post shows the battery is CHARGED, not charging (the icon is a thunderbolt when charging). It looks like there is a problem with your battery controller. Your next steps of action are as follows:

1) Software Update - Apple periodically releases Battery Updates that can fix issues like this. If you haven't done a software update recently, you may want to try this.

2) Battery Calibration. See this Apple article. Follow the instructions and see if this helps.

3) Go see an Authorized Apple Service Center. If the first two steps do nothing, then bring it to an Apple Service Center, or the Apple Store. The Genius Bar at the Apple store (or the tech at the service center) will be able to tell you if this is a defect, and whether or not it can be fixed under any kind of warranty.

I hope this helps, if you have any other question, post up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.