Spyware, etc.

J

JMH

My wife's and my blood pressure has dropped by at least 20 points since we switched to Powerbooks from PCs. However, I am concerned that we might be too complacent about viruses, spyware, and those things. We have no protection at the moment. The Mac's (10.3) internal pop-up software has been infallible in preventing pop-up ads, but is there something we should do or buy to address these other threats? Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
in general a lot of virus;s are written for pc's, and wont affect a mac, you will also have to let the virus install itself if i recall correctly by entering in your password

i have never even botherd being worried about getting a virus
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Since the Macintosh was first introduced I think there may have been a total of 12 viruses (none since OS X was introduced a few years back).

Spyware can not install itself without requesting the Administrators password so there hasn't been many attempts by companies to attach it to its software.

The only reason you might think of getting virus protection software is if you are on a network with PC's because your powerbook could allow the file to pass since it doesn't affect it but it can still get to the PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Virus/worms depend on the indefensible windows registry. Our equivalent is the kernel (Darwin) and admin or root user. No need for scanners unless you need to network to windows pcs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
and even then you needn't be worried....only the windows users should...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
witeshark said:
Virus/worms depend on the indefensible windows registry. Our equivalent is the kernel (Darwin) and admin or root user. No need for scanners unless you need to network to windows pcs

so should i be worried while connected to my schools network? i do believe that it is pc based
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
if there is a virus, it wont affect your mac, only the pcs you connect it to. which means its not your problem, though still take into consideration that others need those pcs at your school, so better to be safe than sorry, well, maybe not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
mynameis said:
You can't edit the windows registry if you aren't signed in an as Admin

False...
Part of the registry can be edited as a power user (which is not admin in Windows)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Reaction score
Avalon said:
False...
Part of the registry can be edited as a power user (which is not admin in Windows)

Then don't be logged in as either at power user or admin when you aren't installing anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
mynameis said:
Then don't be logged in as either at power user or admin when you aren't installing anything.

Well, obviously you never tried to work with Windows NT, 2k or XP with a simple user account... because for nearly everything, you need access to the registry. A normal user doesn't have those rights, therefore working becomes a big pain in the a.. with that type of account.

Reaction score
Avalon said:
Well, obviously you never tried to work with Windows NT, 2k or XP with a simple user account... because for nearly everything, you need access to the registry. A normal user doesn't have those rights, therefore working becomes a big pain in the a.. with that type of account.

I am working on a normal user account right now. I guess I just don't do anything that needs to edit the registry that often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.