Copy Vista partition?

Reaction score
Since the summer holidays are coming and I'm gonna have a lot of spare time on my hands, I decided to reinstall Vista on my MacBook and bum around playing games.

However, I've misplaced my Vista install disc. Being lazy, I can't be bothered to look for it, although I do have a Vista install on another iMac. Is there any way to transfer the data from the iMac partition or will I have to muster up the effort to look for the disc?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Since the summer holidays are coming and I'm gonna have a lot of spare time on my hands, I decided to reinstall Vista on my MacBook and bum around playing games.

However, I've misplaced my Vista install disc. Being lazy, I can't be bothered to look for it, although I do have a Vista install on another iMac. Is there any way to transfer the data from the iMac partition or will I have to muster up the effort to look for the disc?

In a word, no. Your license prohibits using that product key on more than one machine. Not to mention the fact that Microsoft employs copy protection schemes (known as product activation) to prevent Windows from being moved between machines in the manner in which you describe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.