eMac 10.3.9 to what - Tiger or Leopard???

Reaction score
As a Mac newbie I just read dozens and dozens of posts re: my question. My head is smoking and I am getting even more confused. My eMac is a 1.25ghz w/DVD, 512mhz of which I know little. However, I have been looking at a lot of shareware software and found most only runs on Tiger or above. This is why I like to upgrade the OS. This being an old machine, which BTW only has less than 100 hours total time on it, but don't want to throw good money after bad. Meaning, I don't want to spend a couple hundred dollars for a new OS. I was told I cannot go to 10.5 since this would cause the Mac to crawl. Have not been able to find out WHY. I would like to make friends with Macintosh but if it gets to complicated I buy a new PC box and install Linux. Hope someone can provide me with the help I'm looking for without getting to technical. Thanks

Reaction score
Well, the minimum requirements for running Leopard is 512 MB of RAM, so you're just making the cut. Tiger only requires 256 MB of RAM. I say, if you are going to upgrade you minds well go with Leopard. Whatever version you go with I would recommend upgrading your RAM too, 512 is pretty low.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
I wouldn't advise running Leopard.

Minimum requirements to run the OS is 512 MB of RAM. Note that is JUST to run the OS. That doesn't include running a bunch of Apps with it. You'll be able to run the OS, but not much more.

I would stick to Tiger, unless you upgrade your ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
*Although it is officially is not supported by Apple, this model can support up to 2 GB of RAM.
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/emac/stats/emac_1.25.html

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=199

http://www.crucial.com/mac/index.aspx

Leopard should run fine. But as others have said, you'll need to upgrade the ram. You can get Leopard on Ebay. The average price goes for around $80. (I've seen from $55-$90)
The site I linked to for ram costs around $85. for 2 GB.
So for around $160, your eMac will be faster than my iMac... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Agree with Soulwar put in 2GB memory from OWC, get yourself a copy of the full retail install Leopard DVD, which is black, install and watch the improvement.

If you did install Tiger in time you would be hankering for Leopard as it is fast and rock solid.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick replies. Sorry, I failed to mention that I already ordered another 512 chip to go up to 1 gig RAM. The eMac came with 512 and has one empty slot plus I was told on (another forum) that the max on the eMac is 1 gig. (My manuaI mentions nothing about that) I have an auction bid out for Tiger. If I don't get that I may shoot for Leopard. What puzzles me is why some 'experts' told me that I can only go to 1 gig RAM and due to the "old" processor it would run very slow with Leopard. Any comments on that out there will be again appreciated. - Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Thanks for all the quick replies. Sorry, I failed to mention that I already ordered another 512 chip to go up to 1 gig RAM. The eMac came with 512 and has one empty slot plus I was told on (another forum) that the max on the eMac is 1 gig. (My manuaI mentions nothing about that) I have an auction bid out for Tiger. If I don't get that I may shoot for Leopard. What puzzles me is why some 'experts' told me that I can only go to 1 gig RAM and due to the "old" processor it would run very slow with Leopard. Any comments on that out there will be again appreciated. - Thanks again.
Personally, I would return the ram, if it's possible and upgrade to 2GB. (an extra 1GB will do wonders)
The "experts" usually go by the Apple specs. At the time, it was probably the largest module (512mb) that was made. When larger modules came out, sites like OWC, actually tested the machines to see if it would work or not. Same thing with my iMac. Apple states 1 GB, but it will take 2GB.

867 MHz is the cut off for Leopard, which you're obviously above. It will run fine. Apple wouldn't release an OS knowing it would have older machines struggling to run it. And it will probably be the last OS to run on G4's. There's already rumors that the next OS would be Intel native only. Might as well max out on both ends, for maximum performance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.