Cannot Access Home Folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Dual 2Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram
I cannot access my Home folder! I'm told that I do not have sufficient privelidges but I'm the Administrator!!! I was browsing the web in Safari when it lost its preferences. I went to the Home folder and couldn't get in so restarted but all I get in the side bar is the unaccessable Home folder & the Apps folder.

In the 'Get Info' window, in 'Ownership & Permissions', 'You Can' is set to No Access and is grey out. 'Owner' is set to system but when I try and change that to my username it goes straight back to system before I can apply it. I also tried setting up a new admin user to try and change the permissions but they are set correctly.

What's also strange is that in the new admin user it shows that I have over 22Gb in my Home folder (consisting of 2 disk images instead of the usual Pictures, Documents etc files) but if I log in as that user it tells me the Home folder is an alias with zero k inside.

I've tried the usuals, fixing permissions, starting in safe mode and admin changing password. I also tried turning File Vault off but after 45 minutes it comes up with an error.

Is this retreivable?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.