randomly shuts down on battery

Reaction score
My 1 year 2 month old 15" intel MBP will randomly shut down with no warning on battery power (no problem when plugged in). Is this that RSS (random shutdown syndrome) that they had on the class action lawsuit on the early macbooks? I read that a bad heat sink shorts out or something? Anyone else have this problem? I have a hairline crack on the battery, but no damage to the computer anywhere else. Do you think Apple will even give me the time of day with it being outside the warranty?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My 1 year 2 month old 15" intel MBP will randomly shut down with no warning on battery power (no problem when plugged in). Is this that RSS (random shutdown syndrome) that they had on the class action lawsuit on the early macbooks? I read that a bad heat sink shorts out or something? Anyone else have this problem? I have a hairline crack on the battery, but no damage to the computer anywhere else. Do you think Apple will even give me the time of day with it being outside the warranty?

Apple actually extended the warranty on some late 2006/early 2007 MacBook Pro batteries . I had mine replaced, free of charge because it had some wacky issues like the ones you're describing. I would give Apple a call and request a replacement battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX 10.5.3 Mac Book Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
Battery problems

Hi

I too had the random shutdown - took it to an Apple dealer and my battery was replaced free of charge, even though it was not one of the batteries listed as being faulty. The dealer tested the battery by opening itunes and running the visualiser - my mbp shut down instantly. Take it to a dealer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.