what brand of ram are you using on your powerbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
hi can anyone recommend which ram manufactorurer / brand is compatible with the current powerbooks?

thanks in advance

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
anyone? anyone?!?

T

TylerMoney

corsiar is good ram...I forget the website to go to, but someone will be able to tell you, eventually...infact, I'd like to know the site too...I can't seem to dig it out of my head...how frustrating...oh well..somone will know..but corsair is good.

T

TylerMoney

oh yeah...so, I believe the website is crucial...crucial.com

there you go.

S

StealthMode

or go to memoryx.com as well. Seems to be about the same price as crucial though.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
anyone use kingmax? or aware of the brand kingmax? btw besides those given brands.. do you know where would i be able to find out information about ram compatibillity with pbooks.. other than emailing the manufacturer..

C

Cloudane

Kingston, but not by choice. It's what Jigsaw provided to the insurance people after the Powerbook with Crucial RAM in it was nicked.

I've already had to replace the Kingston stick once due to instability... thankfully it has a lifetime guarantee...

Crucial.com definitely the way to go.

D

danger_boy_13

I am considering a 12" PowerBook, and I was just curious.
Would you recommend just buying the upgraded RAM from Apple when I order the PB, or just buy it with the basic RAM and buy some from Crucial to install myself? The cost is about 100 less with the Crucial option, but the cost doesn't worry me too much, just curious on opinions.

Also, how hard is it to change your RAM and it doesn't void your warranty, does it?

C

Cloudane

Definitely go for Crucial rather than wasting 100 via Apple's overpriced RAM :p

It's very easy to change the RAM, and no it doesn't void your warranty. All you need is a Philips size 00 screwdriver to open the trapdoor with, and the rest is fairly obvious (if not, the manual tells you in detail)

G

gesteves

I tried to buy from Crucial, but it was a pain in the ass because I'm overseas, so I ended up buying Samsung memory from Other World Computing. It arrived in 3 days and I even saved $50 :D

D

danger_boy_13

I think when my PowerBook arrives on wednesday, I am going to order the 1 GB Kingmax from Newegg. They have a lifetime warranty, and all the reviews for use on Macs don't show any problems. Plus it is only 200 rather than 480 from Crucial.

C

Cloudane

Any with a lifetime warranty should be fine. Just don't get that "best buy" or "deal of the month" crap :p

My second Kingston stick is fine btw, it's nice having a stable Mac again *caresses it*

M

madRAM

just for the German PB Users

DO NOT - I REPEAT - DO NOT BUY GRAVIS RAM.

It's just a real pain in the ass with the guys. I bought a 512MB stick and
what I got was a refurbished piece of ****. You know, you can reuse old broken RAM modules by disassembling the DIES and then blanking out the bad areas? That's exactly what you get when you buy Gravis RAM! To protect the sensitive DIES they use some kind of black glue that feels like a computer got sick over your wooven pullover.
I had to replace my module two times in the last 3 month and am still not sure if the new module is any good or not.

So, please, do yourself a favour and spend some extra money to get good RAM from good manufacturers.

C

Cloudane

Sounds ridiculously bad. As I shouted in another thread in a similar manner, also avoid eBay.

Crucial or Kingston are the two names I've seen littered all over Mac forums, and indeed they're very high quality manufacturers. I wouldn't even entertain anyone else.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i think that black goop is epoxy glue.. epoxy doesn't conduct no?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.