Did any of you buy from Amazon?

OP
C

code777

I heard there was a loooooooong wait but according to some people here it only takes a few days. I talked to the manager of the Apple Store to try to get them to match the price but they WILL NOT. They had a bunch of excuses why they can not and will not match the price on Amazon. Its a rebate from various companies not authorized with Apple!? Its the older version of the G4? The stock they have comes from various wholesalers that are trying to get rid of them, etc...

I think they just did not want to price match. I considered ordering my new iMac G5 online but when the rep told me it may take up to 5 weeks to ship I just went right back to the store and bought it at retail.

A good friend of mine wants to buy the 12 iBook from Amazon since both Apple Stores in our state our out of stock. I just told him to wait another week or so until they get more in and just pay full retail $999 rather than go through Amazon. Or he can just get the 14" as both stores have plenty of those but he wants to use that extra loot to upgrade memory...

I'd be interested in hearing how Amazon works out

OP
S

suhasG

Hi,

I am getting a 12" iBook from Amazom soon. I ordered on 3 Nov and they will ship it in a day or two so the waiting period is about 2-3 weeks. Amazom also ships through J&R and in that case it would be 1-2 days but no MIR. MIR is available only for orders shipped by Amazon. So if you want to save $150 (and sales tax if applicable in your state) be prepared to wait for 2-3 weeks.

Regarding version old or new: Amazon is selling both older and newer versions of iBook (Apr 04 edition and Oct 04 edition) and MIR is available for both these versions. Amazon web site clearly shows item description and part mumber (M94xxxxxx and M96xxxxx resp.) So before placing an order always check what is the part number. Also cross check at Apple website for the part number of their latest 12" iBook model (which is M9623XXx).

Amazon is a reputed merchant (though not a authorized Apple reseller) and their MIR comes through within 7-10 weeks and one can check status of MIR at amazon's MIR web site.

Even without MIR the deal s good as Amazon don't charge sales tax . In my case I am saving $150 (MIR) + $80 ( sales tax : 8% in CA.), waiting for 2-3 weeks is worth the $230 saving.

I will update ypu all as soon as I get my 12" iBook from Amazon.

Hope this helps.

Regards

SUhasG

OP
C

code777

awesome deal, i would have gone that route but i didn't even know but I was also in a real rush to get an iBook so... i was hoping Apple would give in to price matching but they say they do not match prices with rebates. And the other excuses I listed above.

Please let me know how long because my friend is going nuts as he has cash in hand (rare!) to buy a 12" iBook and since the Apple Store does not carry them right now, he said he'd order one online and pay extra to overnight it! he's going nuts, hahahaha

OP
G

General_K

Fry's (outpost.com) sells Apple. Usually in stock, ships same day. I ordered my 12" PB from them with overnight shipping, and had it 12 hours later. No way I could've waited 2-3 weeks. :mac:

It was actually cheaper than ordering it from Apple. :cool:

OP
S

suhasG

Fry's v/s Apple

When you get from Apple, you can BTO your machine with bigger RAM, HDD, built in Bluetooth etc. However getting bigger capacity RAM from Apple is costly.

Fry's (outpost) or any other reseller won't do these additions (except RAM).

Amazon is still offering the $150 MIR (last date I think is 21 Nov).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying One Soon...
I used my student discount through Apple when I bought mine.

OP
C

code777

at the Apple Store you might find some customs because while i bought mine the kid next to me was buying a 12" iBook with the 60GB HDD and it was just something they had in the back... the sales kid told me they use to have a few with BT installed...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
I went on amazon yesterday afternoon to see how the prices were on the iBook and Powerbook because I am pricing them out to get a new one. I saw a new iBook 12" for $550 and the same seller had a new 12" Powerbook for $600. It also said contact me before buying. So I did because if this is the deal its a prety good one. I promptly recieved a response and this is what it said.

"Hello,

First all i want to tell you that we are a small company in Romania and we trying to evolver outside of country.The laptops are all new in the box with 2 years warranty ,you can change it or repair at anywhere in the world.
About payment and shipping,we have a contract with UPS and the shipping cost will be included in the price ,you will receive the laptop in 2-3 days with Exress Box.
You have to send me the money after the laptop was send and it is on the way,i will send you in your email the receipt from UPS,you have 24 hours to make the payment.If you are agree with me and you want to make a good business with us reply me or if you have anothers questions please ask me.If the laptop will be send it and if you will not send the money at the time,i will stoped the shippment and i will wait 2 days for the payment,if you will not make the payment, i will get the laptop back,it is my risk because i will pay the shipping ! cost and i risk to lose some money.
Please read with carefull this email and don't ask me again what is this email.I have too many buyers and i don't want to lose time for nothing.Please reply me only if you are interested.I'm a honest man and i can't lose more time to writing emails for nothing.
I will wait for you."

I don't know if i trust the overseas deal and shady time think. For all i know he could ship a box but who knows whats in it. Plus since its over seas and i did get scamed I wouldn't be able to do anything correct. Also this seller had no rating.

OP
C

code777

do not

I REPEAT DO NOT

send any money. end of story. If its too good to be true IT IS!!! A friend of mine (dummy) got taken for $6,000 for a stupid watch from Austraila. Total scam. Forget this guy. Just buy it from Amazon or Apple and have peace of mind!

my friend just got a call that the new Apple Store (about 1hr away from us vs. the one 10mins from us) just got a bunch of iBooks in stock. The store near us still is waiting on more 12" iBooks so me and my bud rush out to the store an hour away to pick up his new iBook 12" w/512RAM. The guy was telling us that the 12" is so popular right now its pretty crazy. I asked if it outsells the Powerbook 12" and iBook 14" and he just looked at me and said, "by far the fastest seller I've ever seen" so i think Apple did good lowering the price and bumping up the speed.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would pass on that one. The part I don't like is. I don't have time to send another e-mail answering the same question. How much time does it take to send out an e-mail?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Also if he does not have enough time to response to you. How is he going to expand is his business outside of Romania?

Just my thoughts.

OP
C

code777

TOTAL SCAM. don't bother with this anymore. My friend who got burned the $6,000 learned the very hard way and he was very lucky to recover his funds after 1.5yrs. there are tons of shipping scams out there today. SCAM!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
thats what i figured. shady operations

OP
C

code777

so did anyone get their ibook from amazon yet? i am curious of the wait time, my friend was quoted over a month as they have to get in touch with the distro that may or may not have them. I wonder if there is a shortage of iBooks as the Apple Store near me didn't have any for over 2 weeks, they just got some in yesterday and once again they are sold out (because people put them on backorder + xmas is comin)

OP
S

suhasG

I ordered my 12" iBook at Amazon on 3 Nov , Amazon shipped it on 18 th Nov, Dekivery is on 22 Nov . So waiting period turns out to be 15 days.

OP
C

code777

Did yours come with the Airport installed? While i was at the Apple Store talking to a few people one girl told me she ordered her 12" iBook on Amazon and it took over a month to get and when she got it she said she could not turn on Airport. Then come to find out it did not have it installed and had to buy one for $80 + have someone install it for her. she said it ate up the rebate. Plus her's is a 1Ghz model not the current 1.2Ghz (if there is even a difference). She ordered this back in Sept she told me.

OP
S

suhasG

code777 said:
Did yours come with the Airport installed? While i was at the Apple Store talking to a few people one girl told me she ordered her 12" iBook on Amazon and it took over a month to get and when she got it she said she could not turn on Airport. Then come to find out it did not have it installed and had to buy one for $80 + have someone install it for her. she said it ate up the rebate. Plus her's is a 1Ghz model not the current 1.2Ghz (if there is even a difference). She ordered this back in Sept she told me.

Amazon is (still) selling both versions of 12" iBooks. One Apr04 edition which comes with 1 Ghz processor and no Airport card and has part number M94XXXX, while the second one is a Oct04 edition with 1.2 Ghz CPU and built in Airport Extreme with Part number M96XXXX. And rebate is offered on both these models.

While ordering my iBook (on 3 Nov) I first cross checked with 'Apple on line store' for correct part number and specs.

My Amazon order confirmation email says it is OCt 04 edition with 1.2 GHz, built in Airport Extreme etc and part number matches with current Apple ibook part number.

The girl you are talking about , ordered in Sep 04 , new iBooks weren't released by that time, so naturally the iBook she got has to be 1 Ghz and w/o Airport Extreme.

I checked on other Mac forum and found that there are a bunch of people ordered their 12" iBooks from Amazon recently and got everything as expected (new iBook, Airport extreme installed and the rebate).

By the way, I am expecting my iBook today so will update you soon.

Hope this helps

SUhasG

OP
C

code777

oh that's right... she got it before the revision. how long does it take to get the rebate check? do you have to pay full price up front and then mail in the rebate?

let us know when you get your iBook!!!!

OP
S

suhasG

Got my 12" ibook from Amazon

Hi All,

I got my iBook from Amazon today after a 20 days wait!
It is Oct 2004 Edition, 1.2 Ghz, 256 Mb, 30 Gb with wireless card built in.

I am highly impressed by the way Apple packs the machine. Every thing is clean, smooth and perfect.

Unpacked and in just 5 minutes themachine was up and running.

I have no words to explain my joy, as I am switching from Windows ( almost 18 years+) to Mac.

I even didn't open the Users Guide and got connected to internet in just 1 minutes or less!

I connected Contour MiniPro mouse and machine accepted it instantly, no driver installation sort of thing.

Now I wonder what on the earth was holding me back from the switch!

I also got Tucano Second Sceen Sleeve, made for each other.

Well, keep you posting about my progress and perhaps some more dumb questions.

This message I am posting (of course) from my iBook.

Regards

SuhasG

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.