• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac-Forums' Bar & Grill II

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
so, probably for the last month, maybe more now, i've probably only stopped in a couple times.

a couple of you have contacted me via facebook or messages here, just to check on me. i just want to let anyone who was concerned at all know i'm fine. kind of busy at home, and i'm not online much. most of my off time when i'm not watching the kids is spent gaming.

at work it's just getting harder to spend time here since the red and white doesn't blend in very well...

my only recent news, is that after about 32-33 years of regular to heavy use, i've given up caffeine. last sunday was my last day with any caffeine. the withdrawl has been nuts. still suffering a bit even after a week.
It will be over soon. :p I don't know, I drank pop forever growing up, but I quit drinking it, switching to water right away. But for some reason, I didn't feel any sort of withdrawal like every said I was going to have.

My wife is going to KILL me. Right after I finally paid off the credit card, slickdeals.net had to come along with this. $188 after coupon:

Dell S2409W 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
You should be ashamed... on the other hand, $188 for that is tempting.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You should be ashamed... on the other hand, $188 for that is tempting.

Well, to avoid getting yelled at, I emailed her at work. Her response was not what I would call pleasant, but at least she's prepped and I won't get the brunt of her initial reaction personally ;)

I just couldn't pass it up. Apparently I had good timing too - about 2 hours after I ordered, Dell pulled the coupon code. So, now it's $209 from Dell Small Business. I got it for $188, free shipping, $11 PA Sales tax, put it at $199 out the door. Not bad for a 24" monitor! This will replace my 17" standard ratio, analog-SVGA only, AOC LCD.

I can't wait as this will be used mostly for gaming - it should be a lot more immersive. I was pretty satisfied with the 17", but after playing CoD4 at a computer store on a 22", I was really lusting after a 20"+ monitor. I think this one should suit my needs.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just a head's up that this month's MOTM poll has been posted in Community Polls. Click on the link in my signature to cast your ballot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Hey friends! Just checking in to say Hello! I miss you all. I just haven't had much time to get on here.

I hope everyone is doing well. :) I see a lot of new faces.

Hey, I'm on Twitter now, so add me twitter.com/ms_annette =)

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what it means that my screen on iBook G4 has gone black with the words "Darwin/BSD (605-1-3.local) (console) and Login:"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Oh man... been a while...

See what school does? =P

recently bought a white HTC G1.

Its pretty AWESOME. Like an iPhone, just without the Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
e035a08e616468d1b0500bc12dcc11e9.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple keeps insisting on sending me to the Apple Store to have them look at my MacBook. I wish they could just tell me what's wrong.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What might your problem be? I'm sure some people here would be willing to help ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What might your problem be? I'm sure some people here would be willing to help ;).

The upper lefthand corner of my MacBook (by the magsafe plug), is making this weird buzzing noise. When I plug it in, the noise gets louder and sounds like a worn out bearing spinning.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Sounds like a PSU issue. Is it only when you are connected to AC power?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Was it in your truck when it got banged up Derek?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was it in your truck when it got banged up Derek?

No, it was at home.

And I hope it's not a PSU issue. That would put me on my 4th adapter.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
so, i just dropped nearly 1800 bucks on my 98 Forester yesterday.

needed a clutch. it's always grabbed high, i think the lady who had it before me wasn't very good to it.
had a torn cv joint boot, though no labor for that since the front transaxle was torn apart for the clutch.
they also found a weird access panel on the black behind the clutch that was leaking. for some reason Subaru thought that it was a good idea to bolt a plastic door right to the block, sealed only with sealent, no gasket. the new part is metal, and thankfully cost about a third of the next part...

had a "clock spring" in the steering wheel that had gone. took out my horn, airbag and cruise control for the last year or so. not having a horn was really annoying, but i had no idea about the cruise until they told me about it. that stupid spring cost $299 by itself, never mind the labor associated with working near a live airbag.

had 'em do oil and lube too, but that was a relative drop in the bucket.

runs like a champ now though. of course i still want to put new front struts in. it's a bit soft. it'll have to wait now, however.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
wha? i meant just the time and caution it takes to get into a steering wheel now that there are usually airbag lurking beneath. if it had been an old school 70's steering wheel, i'd have ripped it apart myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wha? i meant just the time and caution it takes to get into a steering wheel now that there are usually airbag lurking beneath. if it had been an old school 70's steering wheel, i'd have ripped it apart myself.

I thought they raised labor costs on you.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
not the rate, but it was 166 bucks for labor alone.
disconnect battery
remove airbag
remove steering wheel and clockspring mounting bolts.
then reinstall.

these guys have always been good to me, when they think they can get away with using refurbished parts, they let me know, and they've given me brakes on things from time to time. it's good feeling to know i have a mechanic i can trust.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
not the rate, but it was 166 bucks for labor alone.
disconnect battery
remove airbag
remove steering wheel and clockspring mounting bolts.
then reinstall.

these guys have always been good to me, when they think they can get away with using refurbished parts, they let me know, and they've given me brakes on things from time to time. it's good feeling to know i have a mechanic i can trust.

I know the feeling. It just sucks when everything starts to break on ya at the same time.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yep. at least the rear main seal was solid. ;)

now it's just the wearing front struts, some slight rust starting to appear, intermittantly leaking sunroof, and a weird intermittant overheating issue that i can't replicate on cue and only seems to happen in the winter. ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.