• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac-Forums' Bar & Grill II

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'd have to agree with you, Derek. However it does irk me when people don't leave there name. Don't be a Cybercoward, for god sakes. If you're gonna say something, don't hide so no one knows who left a comment.

Leaving your name defeats the point. The point is to allow members to anonymously leave feedback about others' posts. If people left names for negative rep, it would turn into nothing more than a constant vindictive squabble. In addition, some members would be afraid to comment for fear of reprisal and abandon the system altogether.

Reaction score
I view the rep thing like student council in high school.

Nothing really gets accomplished by it. It's just a numbers game.

UGH! The best comparison ever!
We just held elections for student council recently.
I hate that it's just a popularity contest.
The people on our student council won't do anything to help out, they're just popular.

Because student council REALLY needs the
O-M-G, I LOOOOOVE ABERCROMBIE! I LOVE BUYING CLOTHES!
OMG SHOPPING! OMG LIPSTICK!
OMG BOYFRIENDS! OMG! OMG! OMG LET'S MAKE OUT IN THE HALL!
OMG I CAN'T EVEN TALK RIGHT!
OMG LOOK, YOU CAN SEE UP MY SKIRT!
OMG, MY SHIRT IS SEE THROUGH!
OMG! PINK IS LOVE!

and the male version:
FOOTBALL PRACTICE AFTER SCHOOL, DUDE?!
TOTALLY, DUDE!
THAT CHICK OVER THERE IS SO HOT, DUDE.
UGH, HERE COMES MY GIRLFRIEND, DUDE.
I HOPE SHE DOESN'T WANT TO TALK, DUDE.
MAYBE WE'LL JUST MAKE OUT, SO SHE CAN'T TALK, DUDE.
DUDE DUDE DUDE.

UGH!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Leaving your name defeats the point. The point is to allow members to anonymously leave feedback about others' posts. If people left names for negative rep, it would turn into nothing more than a constant vindictive squabble. In addition, some members would be afraid to comment for fear of reprisal and abandon the system altogether.

You know, to each his own, but do differing opinions need negative rep? Seriously, most negative reputations make a point, but I seem to be receiving a few lately that have poor credibility. I know this might seem like i'm making too big of stink about the rep system, but seriously I'd rather have it taken away than have a differing opinion have my credibility go down because "You disagree." I see CWAs point, I'm guessing he left the neg rep with "I disagree" but seriously...if you have an opinion that differs, giving a negative rep just says "You're entitled to my opinion, and that's the only opinion that matters. Mine. Yours doesn't matter, and it's invalid."

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know, to each his own, but do differing opinions need negative rep? Seriously, most negative reputations make a point, but I seem to be receiving a few lately that have poor credibility. I know this might seem like i'm making too big of stink about the rep system, but seriously I'd rather have it taken away than have a differing opinion have my credibility go down because "You disagree." I see CWAs point, I'm guessing he left the neg rep with "I disagree" but seriously...if you have an opinion that differs, giving a negative rep just says "You're entitled to my opinion, and that's the only opinion that matters. Mine. Yours doesn't matter, and it's invalid."

For the record, I have not left you any rep either way in quite some time - and furthermore, you are correct in that differing opinions should not be the basis for leaving negative rep. I believe this is quite clearly stated in the Reputation System FAQ:

Reputation System FAQ said:
What are good reasons to leave negative reputation?
Negative reputation should be given if the person is posting something that detracts from the conversation. If the post is rude, inappropriate, breaks forum rules, is not gracious, etc; these are all good reasons to give negative reputation. If you have a personal grudge with someone, it is not appropriate to give them negative reputation without reason. Giving negative reputation because you don't agree with what was said is not an appropraite use of the reputation system. People are entitled to their own opinions, and just because you don't agree doesn't mean the user was wrong or not contributing to the conversation.

...and although we disagree about leaving names, the fact remains that the point of the Reputation System is to leave candid, honest feedback on the posts of others. If everyone left their name when leaving a negative rep, that point would be completely negated.

Reaction score
I wonder why mathogre hasn't added his bit into the *NEW AND IMPROVED* bar and grill...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder why mathogre hasn't added his bit into the *NEW AND IMPROVED* bar and grill...

From what I understand, MO is on hiatus at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, I see what you mean. I probably shouldn't have jumped to the conclusion that you left me the rep, however rep saying "I disagree." should not be left.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Can we stop all this and get back to what makes Mac Forums such a nice place to hang out? Please?? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are a moderator, better listen. The reputation shall never be spoken of in a public form again. Starting now.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You are a moderator, better listen. The reputation shall never be spoken of in a public form again. Starting now.

I maybe a Mod but also a user here and will never let the MOD part get to my head. I am still the same dtravis7 I have always been! :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I maybe a Mod but also a user here and will never let the MOD part get to my head. I am still the same dtravis7 I have always been! :D

Agreed. IMO, a good moderator should fit right in and be basically transparent to the forum regulars. We're not here to play forum god, just to keep things organized and maintain some semblance of order. I would hope that any member that takes exception to any opinions I express wouldn't feel intimidated by my moderator tag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
When did you change your avatar cwa?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When did you change your avatar cwa?

Just an hour or so ago. I also changed it yesterday. I think this one fits me a little more - being that I have always been a huge Commdore/Amiga fan (the significance of which might be lost on you since Commodore has been out of business since about 1994).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Hey, I'm an adult! Don't tell me I'm young :p I've messed with a Commodore 64 before, and played that text based game on it where you navigate through the woods. Interesting, I should get it for my calculator to pass time in class.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As another big Commodore and Amiga fan, I LOVE that avatar! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey

I didn't even realize you were a mod.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, I'm an adult! Don't tell me I'm young :p I've messed with a Commodore 64 before, and played that text based game on it where you navigate through the woods. Interesting, I should get it for my calculator to pass time in class.

No offense intended, I just understood you to be about half my age :)

Let's put it this way, I was typing on boards like this connected via a 2400 baud modem (that's 2400 bits per second - compare it to 56K, which is 56,000 bits per second) back when it was state of the art.

Last edited:
Reaction score
(that's 2400 bits per second - compare it to 56K, which is 56,000 bits per second) modem back when it was state of the art.

Now THAT part I can understand.
WOW, that's slow.

I feel so young. ;P I don't know why I put that winking face there, because i'm not kidding....

When I was born everyone was cruisin' around on their Packard Bells.......or something, I don't really know...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.