Upgrading to Leopard, Erase/Install Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Imac, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz, 1GB RAM, 250GB HD.
I am contemplating upgrading to Leopard. According to all my reading the erase and install option seems to be the best. I am fairly new to the MAC (1.5 years) and I would like to gain a little more knowledge on the procedure.

I will be buying an external hard drive so a backup will not be a problem, I guess my basic questions are:

1. What backup utility or software is most commonly used to backup the main drive? Is the entire drive being backed up or just select files (which ones?)

2. Once the backup is done and the erase and install is performed, how are applications migrated back over to the "new" install? I have some shareware and software downloaded from third party vendors for which I do not have any install disks (they were downloaded, disk images trashed) For example, I use Thunderbird as my email client. By migrating the application to the "new" system does this also bring over all my stored email addresses, saved messages, email protocol settings?

Any advice or help would be appreciated!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am contemplating upgrading to Leopard. According to all my reading the erase and install option seems to be the best. I am fairly new to the MAC (1.5 years) and I would like to gain a little more knowledge on the procedure.

I will be buying an external hard drive so a backup will not be a problem, I guess my basic questions are:

1. What backup utility or software is most commonly used to backup the main drive? Is the entire drive being backed up or just select files (which ones?)

I used SuperDuper. It will back up the entire drive and even make it bootable, should you want to revert to Tiger.

2. Once the backup is done and the erase and install is performed, how are applications migrated back over to the "new" install? I have some shareware and software downloaded from third party vendors for which I do not have any install disks (they were downloaded, disk images trashed) For example, I use Thunderbird as my email client. By migrating the application to the "new" system does this also bring over all my stored email addresses, saved messages, email protocol settings?

Any advice or help would be appreciated!

Just use the Migration Assistant (which runs at the end of setup). Tell it to restore Applications/Settings & Documents from your backup drive. When it finishes, you'll be back to normal, except operating under Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Or you could do an Archive and Install. Has worked perfectly for me each time I have used it. Keeps all your preferences, apps, etc. just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.