Messenger for Mac - Not connected to internet?

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post on here, I got my MacBook Pro 3 weeks before they brought out the brand new version (always the way!), other than the fact that I wished I waited a few weeks I still love this laptop and find Mac OSX to be brilliant.

I have only had one problem with my MBP since getting it and that is connecting to a MSN Service.

I have tried all the programs available and can only connect using Adium using the HTTP protocol.

Now this works ok for just chatting, but I send used to do a lot of file transfers and web conferencing with friends from other countries on MSN and these are pretty much impossible at the moment.

When I initiate a file transfer in Adium I get max 2.7kb/s transfer speed which is impossible to work with.

I know its nothing to do with my router or internet provider as my mate bought a new white Macbook last night, then he connected straight to Messenger for Mac using my Wifi with no problems.

I am new to the Mac world and am a very competent PC user, so now I am stuck with ideas on how to fix this problem.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Cheers.
Paul

Picture%201.png

Reaction score
Glad you figured it out, but you should consider Adium instead! It's open-source, multi-protocol and has lots of really awesome features. It doesn't yet support the current version of the MSN/WLM protocol (so no Yahoo buddies, status messages, offline messaging) but development for this is in progress.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yeah I do like Adium but it is not yet up to doing what I need from it.

Only reason I asked the above question is because I do a lot of file transfers to mates and wanted the speed to be sorted.

But now I have sorted out PeerGuardian everything else I have had problems with now work!

My Router used to display my MBP as 'Unknown' but now it displays it as 'PR-MacBookPro'. So means my router isn't randomly blocking my MBP anymore!

Once Adium is more developed then I will delete Messenger for Mac and use Adium as my main.

Reaction score
hi i am in the same position as reesie. i also recently purchased a macbook pro. i am also quite an experienced pc user after having used windows for over 10 years. i have the same problem where i keep on receiving a message telling me i am not connected to the internet when trying to log in. i have also tried adium and that too does not connect to msn. whereas yahoo seems to work perfectly fine from adium. i would appreciate any help on this problem.

thanks in advance to any suggestions.

ps. on my pc messenger works fine

Reaction score
Check your network settings (pac file, proxy eg).

sorry I have just started using macs, so how would I go about checking my pac files. I dont have a proxy server so I dont think its that.

Also I dont know if this has anything to do with it but when I checked the attatched devices in my router settings I saw my pc name with its mac number and then my macbook is listed but as an unknown device and only shows the mac number. I have a Netgear DG834GT ADSL router.

Thanks for any help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.