Option key remapping

Reaction score
Short version: I want to turn one of my option keys into an enter key.

Long version: I just got a shiny new Macbook. My old iBook had an Enter key just to the left of the arrow keys and I used it constantly (to send messages in AIM). The Macbook doesn't have an Enter key, and I hate having to either a) set AIM to accept "return" as a message-send command (since then I can't have linebreaks in my messages), b) hit fn-return to send a message, or c) (heaven forfend) use the mouse and click the actual send button. I really want to re-map the right option key (just the right one, not the left one) to be an Enter key. It is exactly where I would want it. However, none of the key-remapping software seems willing to a) remap just one of any paired key, and b) make the option key do anything different at all, even if I were willing to switch both of them. Any ideas, or is this a hopeless quest? (If there is a solution that involves any hardware fussing that I can't do myself or make the Geniuses at the Apple Store do for me free, that counts as hopeless.)

OP
A
Reaction score
I have Double Command, but unless there is a way to create custom features that isn't obvious on the preference pane, I can't turn my right option key into an enter key. (I could turn my enter key into an option key, if I had one, but there's no way to reverse the process or single out one option key that I see.)

Reaction score
Macbook Pro key mapping the 'enter' key

Found this thread searching for this exact solution.

I use Pro Tools and on my PB G4 I could use the enter key to create markers.

The enter key on the PB G4 is a the same as the enter key on the numeric keypad on a standard mac desktop keyboard.

Reaction score
Macbook schooled

My sound guy just schooled me on this. He said, "Apple wouldn't have put 'enter' on the return key without a modifier."

To 'enter' press fn + return.

OP
A
Reaction score
I know fn+return is Enter, but that's more cumbersome than I prefer, and since I never use the right Option key, if I can find a way to remap it that would be ideal.

Reaction score
Found this, works great

KeyRemap4MacBook

My /enter/ key is out of commission, so I reprogrammed right /command/ key to replace it!

I just got a MacBook Pro (the sexy new ones) and this was extremely used to me as my white MB was the pre- core duo 2, it still had the enter button next to the arrows that i've grown quite fond of in the last 2 years

Reaction score
LEFT Command key NOT RIGHT

I have been looking up down for a solution to remap a few keys that would make it much easier to use on a laptop for me physically .. I need to remap the LEFT (NOT RIGHT as it has been demanded here) Command key into Return and the LEFT Option key into the Delete key.. At least those two.. No program I tried seems to do that, they all aim for right side solutions for some reason..

Help much much wanted..

Reaction score
...another reason I love this site, thanks for the tip gents. KeyRemap4MacBook running on my 10.7 Lion MBP, user customizable and simply awesome!

Thanks again for the tip~

Reaction score
Short version: I want to turn one of my option keys into an enter key. ...
However, none of the key-remapping software seems willing to a) remap just one of any paired key, and b) make the option key do anything different at all, even if I were willing to switch both of them. Any ideas, or is this a hopeless quest?

Controller Mate is a reasonably priced ($24.95) application that will allow you to install custom key maps. You can make any key do anything, including programming the right option key differently than the left one.

Might be over kill for what you want to do, but it will do it. You can even map complex tasks with boolean logic, auto repeat, multiple keystroke output, pauses embedded in the output, etc. Highly recommended, imho best in class for Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.