Defragmenting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3
Hi, and Hello everyone. Glad I found this forum.

I have a problem with my iBook G3. Things seem to be so mingled on the hard drive, that my mac is acting weird. So I tought that I shoud defragment the drive. But how can I do it. I have no idea. I used to do it on my Classic one, but now i'm lost. Can someone help Please?

Jean

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Welcome to Mac Forums, ozark4. Defragmentation is not necessary, but a bit of maintenance wouldn't hurt. Download and run the maintenance tasks in Onyx and see if that makes things better.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi, and Hello everyone. Glad I found this forum.

I have a problem with my iBook G3. Things seem to be so mingled on the hard drive, that my mac is acting weird. So I tought that I shoud defragment the drive. But how can I do it. I have no idea. I used to do it on my Classic one, but now i'm lost. Can someone help Please?

Jean

About the only program I know that can defragment OS X is iDefrag. Buy from here:

http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iDefrag.php

Regards.

Reaction score
Macs use a UNIX filesystem (HFS+). There's no need to defrag, because it should do it automatically. However, if your mac is acting weird you can go to disk utility, select your hard drive and click repair disk permissions. This will fix any files that are corrupted or not where they should be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.6, 1TB Storage

Using your Admin account, you can execute all three maintenance scripts at once, as follows:

Launch Terminal, in the Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities folder.
At the Terminal prompt, type the following, exactly as written:
sudo periodic daily weekly monthly
Press Return.
Type your Admin password when prompted, then press Return.
All three scripts will run in sequence. There is no visual feedback while the scripts execute. You will know they are completed when the Terminal prompt returns.

You can also run the scripts individually. For example, to run just the daily script, you would type the command:

sudo periodic daily

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.