Need a new router--please help!

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster :D

I am about to purchase an Apple TV. I already have a newer Macbook Pro and Xbox 360 that I will be connecting to a router. I am looking for a 802.11n. Now, I am debating between a Linksys, a Belkin, and the Apple Extreme. I am starting to read that the Extreme doesn't work that well with the Xbox 360, so I thought I would come here for input to see what people are using. Any help is appreciated.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a D-Link DIR-655, which is a higher-end N-based router and it is absolutely awesome. I was a big Linksys person, but gave this one a shot based on great reviews from just about everyone. I would highly recommend it - they run around $120.

OP
D
Reaction score
Wow....that thing looks like it flies. Thanks, I am going to have to get one now.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Wow....that thing looks like it flies. Thanks, I am going to have to get one now.

It does indeed. I know a number of others (bobtomay, Kash) have that router and they have said very positive things about it. It's also wall-mountable (a big plus to me) and the range is outstanding. It also has a built-in USB print server, which is cool too.

Maximum PC and CNET both did comparisons against the other high-end n-based routers and it came out on top in just about every test. The only one that I've seen rated slightly better is the Linksys WRT600N, but that's really pricey ($250 or so) - and it's mostly because it's dual-band (2.4 and 5 GHz).

OP
D
Reaction score
Sweet. Thanks again for your help. Can't wait to pick this up later on today.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.