Replacing Apple keyboard with another brand

Reaction score
Switched recently to the top configured iMac, and I'm glad I did. However, like other iMac users I have trouble with its keyboard, which is not friendly to my fast and intensive typing, with constant skips of the space bar and some ergonomic problems. I do like the wired Mighty Mouse, and might keep it. I have been looking at customer reviews of both the Microsoft Wireless Desktop 6000 Keyboard, and the Logitech Cordless Wave Keyboard. I have tried them both and seem to meet my typing specifications, particularly with their "wave" design. Does anyone have experience using either of them, or any other brand and model, as far as the Apple software download configuration of the hot or media or special keys (which some reviewers either praise or blast)? Why did you or did you not choose a particular keyboard? And if you also use Windows on your iMac, how easy is it to switch from one keyboard configuration to another. Thank you very much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I have a MS wireless multimedia keyboard and mouse

pretty basic, but good and just works, bought it because apple had no wireless keyboards at the time

works fine

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply

I'm guessing that because your keyboard is basic you did not download any Apple specific software, which I would still prefer. I may just have to choose one or the other and try them out within the trial period, in case I need to return it. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers
I currently have the Logitech Cordless Wave Keyboard on my iMac and I use it at work on my Dell. I had initial problems on my iMac as the software from Logitech didn't find the keyboard/mouse. After trying another, older Logitech keyboard/mouse that worked, I again tried the Wave and it found it. One thing I've found is you need to use the little USB rest that comes with it. I really like the keyboard and the mouse is good too. I'm able to program all the buttons on the keyboard and mouse to do what I want (mostly) and the keyboard is easy to type on. I'd recommend it now.

OP
I
Reaction score
Appreciate your reply

That was really helpful. I will certainly try the Logitech Wave and see if it feels good for my hands and typing style as well as the Mac-specific media and other keys. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I use the diNovo Edge. I love that thing to death.

OP
I
Reaction score
Replacing Apple Keyboard

Thank you all for your input on replacing the Apple keyboard. After trying the Logitech Wave and the Microsoft Wireless 6000, chose the Microsoft which fits my way of typing best, and is fully compatible with the Mac allowing for lots of tweaks. I'm glad I switched and for the assistance I've received so far. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.