a tale of woe...

Reaction score
About 6 months ago my G3 packed in. I used a friends Pro to move everything off and onto an external HD that I'd been storing my iTunes on for a while.

I just got a new Pro, hooked everything up, ironed out the bugs and guess what? It freaking broke on me! Some part came loose inside and I've lost all my iTunes files!

It makes a clunking noise, and doesn't register it's existance to anything!

Any suggestions to recover the files, or is going to have to get sent away to data recovery place?

cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
... onto an external HD ... It freaking broke on me! Some part came loose inside ... it makes a clunking noise

Assuming you're referring to the external HD, it may be something as simple as a loose mount or screw inside the drive. Are you game to open the external hard drive and take a look? If not .....

Any suggestions to recover the files, or is going to have to get sent away to data recovery place?

That may be your best or only option. Old and used hard drives have a reputation for failing without any warning, although I have to say that I use two of them as external storage, and neither of them is inside an enclosure, just connected with a USB-IDE adaptor.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.