New Imac G5 noisy DVD roms?

Reaction score
Hi, I just got my sister hooked up with a new IMAC G5 from the apple store. It seems like the dvd rom is pretty noisy sometimes, kinda like a vibrating humming sound... any one else notice this on their machines???

I told her to get the tower, but nooooo she wanted the sleek looking imac.

thanks!

A

adamburgess

My G5 tower is pretty quiet until it starts using the DVD drive and then it gets QUITE LOUD! A lot louder than my G4 tower.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Yeah, the optical drive on the G5 tower isn't exactly quiet...Although after a minute or two it calms down...

E

editdv

Hi there. Purchased an iMac G5 December 04 and the Superdrive has the same symptoms you mention. Can't see how a drive can last long behaving like that. I've refered this problem to Apple as I want it noted while still under warranty. Cheers from New Zealand.

dflint said:
Hi, I just got my sister hooked up with a new IMAC G5 from the apple store. It seems like the dvd rom is pretty noisy sometimes, kinda like a vibrating humming sound... any one else notice this on their machines???

I told her to get the tower, but nooooo she wanted the sleek looking imac.

thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.