• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

RAM for my Powermac G5

Reaction score
Hi everybody, first post here :Smirk:

I have a Powermac G5 out of the country and won't have access to it till mid june. I need to buy some more RAM cards for it before I had there and since I can't check the specs I thought I would ask some opinions other than buying the wrong one.

I'm sure it's a Powermac G5 dual 2.0 and it has 8 slots for RAM.
I checked some specs on the net and it says 400 MHz PC3200 DDR SDRAM

Now, is the PC3200 DDR the only compatible RAM for me? I also hear the 533 MHZ PC4200 DDR2 SDRAM also fits a Dual G5 2.0, not sure it works on mine.

What's he difference bet DDR and DDR2?

Any tips on brands?

Many thanks :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2GHz 2GB RAM 80GB HDD
Odds are it is just downclocking the PC4200 to 3200 speeds. I would recommend sticking with 3200 just to avoid any potential headaches.

DDR and DDR2 are two totally different beasts. DDR2 will not run in a DDR machine and vice versa.

OP
M
Reaction score
Question answered :Smirk:
I will stick to the DDR 3200!

Any brands of RAM I should be avoiding?

Thanks for the help,
All the best!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2GHz 2GB RAM 80GB HDD
I have my own preference, but I don't like to be too vocal because I don't want to seem like I am spamming. That said, all of the major brands (Mushkin, Crucial, Corsair, Patriot, etc...) make a good product. It really boils down to price, and customer service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As suggested, go to a supplier such as OWC at www.macsales.com and price your memory modules, with postage. Then do a hunt around memory suppliers looking for the best buy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.