Running onyx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
So far running Onyx vs. MacJanitor seems to work better and get deeper into things....does this seem true?

My only thing is I'm not really sure what to run within Onyx....last time I asked a while ago on here people mentioned just running "automation" to do things. So do I not use "cleaning" "utilities" and the "parameters" section of the program or if I should, how do I use them??? And with automation I will attatch a screen shot of what is standard selected....should I select everything to be fixed or what???

Picture%201.png

Thanks!

OP
getuptogetdown
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
Reaction score
I believe the automation just runs a collection of most commonly used maintenance items available in Onyx that you can run individually in the other tabs. I think the defaults are fine. Maybe add the "Execute Maintenance Scripts" if you believe they haven't run in a while. The are the 3 different scripts that run daily, weekly, and monthly. I think even in the Leopard version of Onyx it tells you when the last time those scripts were run.

Honestly, I don't think you need to stress out much about running these all the time. Macs do a pretty good job of keeping the system clean. If you are having a lot of problems with your Mac, then running the scripts are a good idea, but if everything is running smoothly, then there's nothing to really fix is there.

Reaction score
Seriously, what are you trying to fix? What is your Mac doing wrong? Cache files are built for a reason, it makes the computer run faster. Deleting them makes the Mac run slower until they are rebuilt. Permissions don't just randomly change, "repairing" them is pointless. Logs and reports are self-limiting in terms of size and if you ever do run into a problem they are very handy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.