Should I Get a Time Capsule?

Reaction score
So I'm a big movie kind of guy and my 250 GB Passport drive is full and my computer's drive is also getting filled up pretty fast. So I have two options, I can either get a 1TB Time Capsule and have the great wireless Time Machine auto backups going on along with the Wireless N (my Belkin G router sucks), or I could just get a 1TB My Book and call it a day and use the Firewire 800 port to transfer files a little bit faster. What do you guys think? I have the money for both and I'm kinda leaning towards the Time Capsule but I'm not sure. How long would it take to transfer my data from the 250GB drive to the Time Capsule?

Also, what format is the Time Capsule drive in? Does it support transferring files larger than 4GB's? Because Windows has that problem with NTFS drives and such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
250GB would take approximately 10+ hours if you use cable for the first backup instead of wireless.

Thats right you get N capable router with it which is much faster than b/g. You can actually feel the difference. Time Machine backups are extremely cool coz you never have to worry about accidentally deleting files or corrupt OS or broken HDD. Its formated HFS+ and you can transfer files bigger than 4GB.

I dont know what FS my WD Netcenter uses but i have transferred movie ISO's which are usually 4.3GB's and its fine.

If you decide not to get the TC, you should consider WD Netcenter. Its a great NAS and I have no problem using it with Ubuntu and Mac. I am so glad to have made that choice when I got it almost 18 months back. Its 500GB and its filled up so I got the TC for the N range and 1TB monster space.

OP
Mufasa
Reaction score
Hey thanks buddy! What does NAS stand for? And yeah I basically have like 7GB ISO files that are just stuck on my bootcamp partition drive.

Also, once I say transfer a movie to the TC and one day I want to see it, is it wise to just play it off the TC or transfer it back to my desktop and then play it? Same goes for documents and such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
NAS - Network Attached Storage. Instead of sticking it in your firewire/USB port, you just connect a ethernet cable between the NAS and your router. THat way you can access it wirelessly.

You dont have to copy back anything to your mac/pc's HDD. You can read/write docs, play music/video and even ISO files directly from the TC as long as you have good wireless signal from your TC.

Reaction score
Time Machine and WD Netcenter

Hi there, I have a WD Netcenter 250 GB and am trying to setup Time Machine on either one of the 2 MACs we own and am having a hard time. My WD Netcenter is currenlty being used as storage for a PC. I have created folder with only MAC access and also folders with both MAC and PC access.

When I try setting up Time Machine I do not get a prompt to choose what partition to be designated for TM. I get an empty box and can't do anything. I work in IT, I am a power user in Windows, I know about network but am new to MAC stuff. Can anybody help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I think the TC would be a good choice for you whether you use time machine or not. A 1TB time capsule would hold a lot of movies for you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
I think as you said money is not a issue, the time capsule is the best option, as its wireless and dont have to worry about wires ect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.