SCSI Trouble

klt

Reaction score
My Power Mac is a Gigabit Ethernet 450DP running OS 10.3, 1.5GB memory.
It has a SCSI PCI card and and external SCSI DVD 8X24 burner. The computer doesn't see the burner. I looked through the programs and don't see anything that looks like it applies to this burner. Is there a driver, or software, or something I need to install before it will work with this Mac?

The external SCSI burner has no name on it anywhere. The only ID is #A822167 that appears on the back above the top plug.

When this Mac was running the original OS 9.XX this drive worked with it.

Is there something someone can suggest for a fix? The drive works fine, as I recall. Thanks for any help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am glad I re-read your post as I was going to ask you the brand of the External Burner!!

Is the PCI SCSI card the one that came in the Gigabit Ethernet stock? 10.3 should work with that card just fine. What happens if you click on the apple and on About This Mac, then More Info? Look under SCSI and see if the card is listed.

Some burners will not work in OSX properly but there is a piece of Software that allows a lot of non supported Burners to work. It's been a while but I will find that for you and get back.

I take it this burner is in an case? Have you taken apart the case to see if you can get a brand name on the drive itself?

If if put a CD Disc with data on it in the External Burner does it mount on the desktop?

Finally remembered, Patchburn. That has made a lot of non supported burners work for me. It will no longer work on Leopard 10.5 though but you will be fine with 10.3.

OP
klt

klt

Reaction score
1st: Thanks for such a fast response. Great help.
2nd, The external SCSI drive works. I didn't realize it wouldn't show up when empty. It is a TEAC CD-R585. It did come with this G4 Gigabit. The internal drive is a DVD ROM, not a burner.
New Mac Superdrives for burning CDs & DVDs are really ex$pensive. (I think that is what they are called.) I have a Sony IDE CD-DVD Burner & ASUS IDE CD-DVD Burner. They only say for PC. Wondering if your Patchburn would allow them to work with this Mac? Also the flip down door on the internal drive makes me wonder how I could use one of the burners I mentioned. Are they constructed differently so they will work with the door on the front of this Mac?
Again, thanks for the info.

OP
klt

klt

Reaction score
Please forgive this very elementary question but when installing the Patchburn software, would I do so after installing the Burner, or before? Thanks very much.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a Sony very much like that in my G4 Tower. Works great. If not try Patchburn. The front of most all the IDE CD/DVD drives is basically the same as far as where the eject button is. Every IDE CD/DVD drive I have ever put into my older Tower Macs works great with the button up front. Best thing to do is try it and if it does not work with all apps, try Patchburn.

Without Patchburn, some drives will not be recognized by burning applications. Open something that burns and see if the drive is in the list.

And yes, a Drive will not show on the desktop unless a CD/DVD is in the drive as you found out!

OP
klt

klt

Reaction score
I'll try the Sony. Again, thanks for help with my learning curve.

OP
klt

klt

Reaction score
One last thing just for the info: Are the Superdrives I've read about special in some way? Wondering what makes them 'super.' Is this just a name from Mac for their officially sanctioned burners, or is there something else they offer? Can't imagine what that might be, unless it is a promise of trouble-free compatibility.

OP
klt

klt

Reaction score
I tried to burn a playlist of music from iTunes, but no burner was recognized, so I installed the appropriate PatchBurn software. It looked as if everything were going to work because the new software showed the SCSI burner. iTunes said there was a fatal-type error and didn't go for it, so I'll shop around for some new burning software in addition. Perhaps I needed that before the PatchBurn could do its' thing. BTW, if this is looking more like a software problem, and I shouldn't post this question here, I apologize. I'm just not certain if it is an old burner issue, or software, or both.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One last thing just for the info: Are the Superdrives I've read about special in some way? Wondering what makes them 'super.' Is this just a name from Mac for their officially sanctioned burners, or is there something else they offer? Can't imagine what that might be, unless it is a promise of trouble-free compatibility.

A Superdrive Reads CD's and DVD's and Writes CD's and DVD's.

A Combo drive reads CD/DVD's but only burns CD's.

Hope that makes sense.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.