Buying a Mac Pro soon, advice sought.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new in these parts although I have been a Mac user for 3 years on my trusty iBook G4! Sadly my iBook is feeling a little slow and claustrophobic and so I'm going to buy myself a Mac Pro and get back into the world of desktops.

My question is this:

Is it really worth buying an 8 core machine instead of a 4 core machine?

I plan on mostly using it for surfing the web, Photoshop and Traktor Scratch and I really can't see any of those pieces of software using up all that processing power?

I may also install Windows via Bootcamp and play some PC games, such as Half Life 2 and Supreme Commander but, I'm pretty sure the 4 core model could handle that with ease.

Anyone else have input/experience?

Cheers!

J

EDIT: P.S. While I'm bugging you all: does anyone know if there is a piece of software for OS X which can act as a sound mixer for the individual programs? I seem to remember reading about one a couple of weeks back but I can't remember which site it was. I'm trying to watch a video in VLC at the same time as playing a flash game in Safari and the flash game has no option to mute the sound!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
For you it doesn't sound like you'll be needing that much processing power. Invest in RAM.

OP
J
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how do people use their 8 core machines? Do lots of you work with Maya etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac | 30GB iPod Video | 16GB iPod Touch
I agree with EGGO. For your needs, it would be a better idea to add RAM instead of processing power. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.